Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Poor circulation
THAMMRICH posted:
My 15 year old daughter came in tonight and her toes were just purple. She always has had poor circulation in her hands...always cold but tonight I noticed her toes and they were freezing. She said she didn't think they were cold. When she takes a shower her hands and feet are red when she gets out. Is this a sign of something? It is concerning.

We7Johnsons responded:
I have no reply other than I, too, have a 15yo girl. I looked down at her bare feet today and they were purple looking except a white spot on the middle of a middle toe. It's actually the white spot I noticed first. It looked like when you tan around a piece of clothing, but her feet don't look tan. They look blue and purple. I'm hoping someone will reply to the above post. She hasn't been complaining about being cold and she is stubborn about not wearing a jacket and even wearing flip flops in winter. She doesn't complain of being hot either.

kellyrmaher responded:
Some of these symptoms, especially the bluish/purple tinge and the white spot, sound characteristic of Raynaud's phenomenon. "Raynaud's disease is a condition that causes some areas of your body ? such as your fingers, toes, tip of your nose and your ears ? to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, arteries that supply blood to your skin narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas." (MayoClinic online) There isn't really much you can do about it, except try to avoid excessively cold environments that may trigger an attack. Hope this helps!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.