Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Mupirocin for cold sores??
kdixon1029 posted:
My 3 and 5 yr old daughters were given mupirocin for sores they had around the bottom of their noses a few months ago. The ointment was very effective(also very expensive). We just noticed the beginning of a cold sore on my 5 yr old's bottom lip. The ointment is good for another 13 months. Given the cost and the effectiveness of this med, are we ok to use this for her cold sore? Thanks Kevin

serendipity888 responded:
Hi Kevin~~ The sores you initially treated at the bottom of your daughters noses, were caused by a bacteria (probably staph or strep), and Mupirocin is an antibiotic ointment. True cold sores, are caused by a virus, and the cold sores won't respond to an antibiotic, and usually just run their course. There are remedies for the pain of cold sores and your pediatrician can let you know about these. I hope this helps. Take care

jmart92 replied to serendipity888's response:
i jus got my first cold sore this year an my doctor prescribed me mupirocin for it and its helped alot sooo should b okay

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.