Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
15 month old with oversized head
Repesh posted:
My wife and I just found out that our 15 month old daughter has to have an MRI because she is showing an abnormal growth pattern with her head. She is 97th percentile and by the growth curve, on track to exceed the 100th. My pediatrician said that they are checking for hydrocephalus, but not too concerned. My daughter means the world to me, and I realize that there is nothing anyone can say to make me feel better. I am worried sick for my precious little girl . This is probably the first time in 13 years I have cried my eyes out. Because of the MRI they have to put her under general anestisia. I am going out of my mind just thinking about it. She is the most important thing to me, and so precious. I realize I have no control over the situation. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any feedback you have would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Repesh, At the current time this board does not have a WebMD health professional to answer community members' questions. My advice to to not borrow trouble. Please take things one day at a time. Do get copies of all of the diagnostic procedures and reports so that you can keep track of them and ask the doctors your questions that you have about what the test findings are and what they will mean for your child. Young children are not able to hold still while undergoing an MRI so that's why it must be done under general anesthesia. Do talk to the doctors who will be performing the MRI and anesthesia if you are worried about the procedure and outcome. Good luck! - Annie

pastordavelawson responded:
I have just read this article and this is what is happening to my grandaughter. I pray things worked out with your daughter. Would you share with us what happened so we may know what to anticipate. The doctors have stated exactly what you have stated and we are very concerned. Thank you in advance for your information.

Samantha_77 replied to pastordavelawson's response:
I have a nephew that has hydrocephalus. He is now 4 months old. His was discovered when he was about 2 months. Although it was very scarry at the time, this is a fixable problem he had to have a shunt put in the back of his head and there is a tube that runs the inside of his body to his stomach to drain the fluid. They are now keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't have any developmental delays, but so far things seem to be fine.

Anmar22 responded:
My 18 month old nephew (and his brother) both had unusually large heads. Last week I just learned that the 18 month old just had an MRI for the exact same reason. Everything turned out fine. I know it's hard, but try not to worry, if it does end up that way it is a very treatable disease. Good luck.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Anmar22's response:
First question: has the head always been large? A head increasing in size percentiles is much more concerning than a head that's large, but has always been large.

Babies with large heads should have their parents' heads measured. 98%ile for a male adult head is 23 inches; for a woman, it's about 22.5 inches. Baby with large head who has parents with large heads is far less worrisome.

By 15 months it should be easy to do a developmental assessment. A 15 mos old with large head and normal speech and motor development is very unlikely to have any sort of medical problem, unless the head circumference is expanding rapidly. Hydrocephalus would usually present much earlier than 15 months.

LKatHall responded:
Hi there,
I know this post is old, but your situation is almost exactly what I am experiencing. Just went for my baby girl's 15 months check up, and her head size has increasingly moved up to the 97th percentile. I hope it is OK to ask, because I'm looking to ease some of my anxiety, but I'm curious to know how everything turned out? I hope all is well with your little one!
Thanks

LKatHall replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
I'm experiencing almost the exact situation. 15 months, increasing head size (now in 97th percentile). Your information helped ease my mind for the MRI we have scheduled in a couple of days.

Thank you.

bfrose responded:
I am glad to find that others have/are going through this. My 18 month old daughter head was large at birth, was at the 100% at 9 months, over the 100% at 12 months & now is at the 140%. The doctors are concerned because her head grew 1.1 centimeters in the past 3 months and just last week we did the ultrasound through her soft spot. The tech doing the ultrasound told me that she did not see anything out of the ordinary, but now my daughters doctor waste to do the MRI "just to make sure". I'm terrified to have her put under for this test. I have told the doctor that I am willing at the time being to bring her in for the next two months to get her head measured to see if it abnormally growing at a fast rate. She is a very intelligent little girl, has surpassed all of the "milestones" that babies are to hit...reading responses to you post have reassured me a little seeing how this isn't rare. Thanks & I hope all turned out well for your little girl!

Boyzmomee replied to LKatHall's response:
My now 14 year old son always had a large head. When he was 2 his grandmother bought him some cute shirts. Lol, his head didn't fit.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.