Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Age to stop going to Pediatrician?
momhorseman posted:
I'm wondering at what age should I change my kids to a regular doctor instead of a pediatrician? My ex-husband and I are in a disagreement on this. Could people give me some advice please.

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi momhorseman, At the current time this board does not have a WebMD health professional to answer community members' questions. You don't mention how old your children are but the parents on our support group board may be able to tell you whether they use pediatricians, family physicians, or walk in clinics (docs in a box). - Annie

beachgirl64 responded:
Ask your pedi what they recommend. Some will only see them till they are 18, others will see them until they are 23, as ours will. Good luck

love_eyeore responded:
It depends on a few things: 1-Are your teen kids comfortable going to a pediatrician? 2-Are your kids getting their needs met? 3-What is the providers comfort level in managing teens and young adults and what are his/her limits/credentials? 4-Does your child have a chronic illness? 5-Are there adult providers who can provide better care for his/her issues? Sorry this is not a yes or no answer, but there are many things to consider. Some providers love caring for teens and will keep them through highschool, some into college, and for some kids with chronic illness they will keep their pediatric provider through college. It just depends on how it's working for your child, family and your provider.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.