Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Developmental Delay
kristi8186705 posted:
My 1 year old daughter was born very healthy! She is a beautiful, happy little girl. Although now that she has reached 1 year of age she has global delay's. She is delayed in her fine and gross motor skills. As well as her eating abilities and some defined muscle weakness in her lower body. She is not yet crawling on all 4's nor is she on solid table foods yet. All of her foods have to be pureed because she does not use her tongue side to side to chew her foods, she swallows everything whole. I have contacted a local agency who has evaluated my daughter and so far she has qualified for Physical Therapy, Developmental Therapy, Speech Therapy, and we are awaing an Occupational Therapy evaluation. I strongly feel that there is something going on behind all these delay's. There has to be some kind of answer as to why she functions on the level of that of a 6 month old. The only area she scored the highest in was her Social skills. She is a child who makes eye contact with everyone and is very social. So autism is not a concern. But I'm just looking for answers any where I can... If any one has a child going through the same issues or if anyone has any adivce. I've been doing all this on my own because my Pediatrician was not concerned until he seen the reports from the therapists. But now he wants to wait before sending her on for any additional testing. WHY? Why wait? Waiting could be dangerous. This is a very important stage in her life and we need answers NOW!!! Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any advice would be appreciated!! Worried Mom

Annie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Kristi, At the current time this board does not have a WebMD health professional to answer community members' questions. Have you thought about getting a second opinion about your child's development from another doctor? If your doctor is not concerned but you are then you and your doctor clearly are not going to be agreeing on how to deal with your child's lack of progress. You know your child better than anyone else so if you feel that your doctor isn't helping you then it's time to go elsewhere. You are always entitled to a second opinion. Even though you thnk that your child isn't autistic there are many spectrums of this condition so do think about it. I do have a relative who is severely autistic, he has a genetic cause, but he also had global developmental delays that showed up at about a year old. So my suggestion is to get a second opinion. You may want to contact an organization like Easter Seals for resources in your area. We also have an Autism Support Group board for help with your questions. - Annie

gdcwhite responded:
I can feel you pain in SSSOOOO many ways!!! First, get another pediatrician ASAP!!!! Mins is awesome, saw the signs before I really became aware of them and set the ball rolling for me. You want to go to neurologist, they seemed to have a lot of answers for me. My son, who is 4'1" and weighs 74lbs(i know he is huge, they thought that was a link, but it was not) he just turn 5, but developmentally, a LOT of ways he just turned 3. The therapies help out a lot, and since he is over three, our school provide the therapies. He is going through OT, PT, ST, and DT. My 3 1/2 will be going through the same therapies, though not as intense. He is not as delayed, and my 11 year old was never delayed. The only diagnosis I ever recieved was AD/HD, which my 5 yr old no doubt has, LOL!!!

They run mw ragged because in a lot of ways, it is like I have twins. And according to their doctor, their neurologist they are the rowdiest kids ever!!!!! oh well. It is a lot of work, but so very rewarding!!!!

I wish you truly the best and hope everything works out for you. May GOD watch over you and your beautiful daughter. And may you recieve all your answers.

Sincerely,
A Loony Mom :P

Melissa3456 responded:
I see this was posted 2 years ago. I'm wondering what, if any, therapy and/or other has helped. My daughter is also delayed, by about 2 years I think, though it's hard to tell because she doesn't talk. Hippotherapy (a fancy term for horseback riding) seemed to make a substantial difference, though the initial ramp seems to have leveled off in our 2nd 6-week session. This is in addition to speech and occupational therapy. MRI revealed nothing abnormal about her brain. Next up - because I can't do nothing while she falls further behind - is integrated listening therapy.

Boyzmomee replied to Melissa3456's response:
Both of my sons were born premature. Early intervention was vital to their development.

I am glad to see that you are seeking out all resources for your daughter.

My youngest son was in an infant stim program. He had speech, OT and PT. Later, he was in a communicatively handicapped pre-school for two years. He drooled, didn't walk until he was two and vomited multiple times daily for his first year. He had no tone and was floppy like a rag doll.

He will be 14 in two weeks and just came back from a week at Y camp. He has ADHD and poor handwriting. He is on the honor roll at school, is in choir, Boy Scouts and plays baseball, footballl and hockey. He helps out younger students in religious school. He had his Bar Mitzvah last October and was flawless.

Melissa3456 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
I'm always relieved to hear a success story. We're running in circles where there aren't many of them. I'd guess when someone's child overcomes early issues, their parents slink off, grateful that they're no longer in that loop and guilty they leave others behind. I'll try not to be that way :).

I am perpetually hopeful that I am going to find the key that unlocks my daughter's potential. Barring some miraculous success from iLs (which, believe me, I've pinned a ton of hope on), my next horizon is age 8. This is when sensory integration issues resolve _ everything tends to come together. How crazy am I? Did you see a corner turned when your son was 8?

Boyzmomee replied to Melissa3456's response:
I didn't mention that that they told me his IQ was in the intellectually deficient range too.

I found that a light went on at age 5, for him.

He still has strange sensory issues but is much better. He could never stand any type of massage, light or deep touch. He has very restrictive food choices, even now (although better), due to textures and smells.

He puts his socks on in a very weird way.

Lol, now, he doesn't stop talking.

I have never pulled away as I am a social worker who at this time works with children/young adults with developmental disabilities.

Have you thought about taking your child to a developmental peds doctor or to a peds neuro? What about an evaluation at a teaching hospital?

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.