Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

what age a boy starts masturbation
lalittandon posted:
please tell me , is it normal for a boy to start masturbation at an age of 6 yrs? does it have any harmful effects? how should i educate him?

FCL responded:
Yes it's normal and no it won't have any harmful effects - it's perfectly healthy. Just make sure that he understands that it's a private activity and should only be done in a private place (bathroom, his bedroom - with door closed, of course).

tinkerbell27549 responded:
I completely disagree. a 6yr old does not masturbate. in my understanding masturbating is a sexual act and a 6 yr old knows nothing of it or at least they shouldnt. however it is normal for a young boy and girl for that matter to touch them selves. but they are just exploring a part of their body and need to be educated that it is not appropriate. if they should develop a habit of it it will cause problems later in life, especially when they are in school. they may find it amusing and want to share it with other students. so i would strongly advise any and every parent that has a young child that it is inappropriate for them to take part in any such activity.

FCL responded:
You might find it useful to post your question over on the Parenting: Preschoolers and Grade Schoolers board. You'll get information and advice there from people who have children of the same age as your son. You'll find the board here:

boards.webmd.com/webx/topics/hd/parenting/Parenting-Preschoolers-and-Grade-Schoolers/

lalittandon responded:
thanx a lot for advice. i'll post the ques on parenting.

freebreezmoma responded:
well,i have 4 boys to ages 11...yes it is quite normal...but a boy cannot ejaculate until age 11 or 12...now boys of all ages from infancy on rub their penis'...we forget that kids like good feelings too!....we live in a secluded mountain area and my 4 boys,run and play naked all the time...many times with erections...so no problem...what is natural and normal.
.Now. erections .cannot be harmful at all,even girls have them in their own way...so tell him that it is natural,and ok

freebreezmoma responded:
hi,..,am a mom o f several boys aged 4 to 12,and i feel that too many moms are obceesd with their boys handling their genitals...this is a natural thing......,my family ,we are nudists,and see erections all the time,and sometimes the boys " play dr.......also natural cutiosity

freebreezmoma replied to tinkerbell27549's response:
hi mom,i am mom of 8 now.perhaps you meant to say that it is not appropriate for them touch themselves in public. i agree.of course but in their own home it is natural,and if taught that certain body-parts are bad and nasty ,it causes,of course gilt,shame and anxiety that can haunt them a lifetime,The old decrepit Victorian teachings,that " you must never touch your-self ' down there' if forced,leads also extreme anxiety ,guilt,and very excessive masturbation,( and all the while the child is sure that he,or she will go to condemnation.)

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.