Includes Expert Content
My 8 Year Old Son Pees On Floor
4capickles posted:
Help! My 8 Year old son pees in random places at night. He never pees his bed. We're sure he's sleep walking. He is always in a VERY deep sleep at night and it is very difficult to wake him. Even if his eyes are open we can tell he's not aware. He used to at least make it to the bathroom to pee which is a hard floor and I would just clean up after him in the morning, figuring he would grow out of this...but now he doesn't even make it to the bathroom. Carpet is wet in the morning, in the dining room, living room, etc. I don't know how to help him. Bed wetting products are no help because he would just remove his pants since he actually goes through the motions of peeing on the toilet.

4Watermonkeys responded:
It sounds like the sleep-walking is the biggest issue. Dealing with the peeing would be futile since it's an underlying condition of the sleep-walking. Have you addressed this with his pediatrician? A visit with a neurologist might be helpful as well as a sleep-study. As odd as it sounds, you may want to videotape his behavior (not the peeing :sheepish: ) such as his mannerisms, affect, and ability to communicate when he sleep-walks. This can be helpful for the doctors to determine what's going on. Also, have you tried interacting with him when he does this and does he have any recollection of his actions the next day?

4capickles responded:
Yes, we have tried talking to him and helping him. He acts like a drunk person would. And no, he never remembers what has happened in the night once he wakes up the next morning. I talked to his pediatrician and he referred us to a neurologist. However, he doesn't accept insurance and his fees are just too far out of our reach. That's why I started this discussion to begin with. I guess I'm going to have to search for a different neurologist. Thank you for your help!

4Watermonkeys responded:
Yeah, it definitely sounds like a different neurologist is in order! That's odd that he doesn't accept insurance. I wonder if a doctor that specializes in pulmonary care would be helpful. They're the ones that oversee sleep-studies and delve into that nifty world of sleep-walking. Also, they work in a variety of settings - hospitals, clinics, etc. - so insurance usually isn't an issue.

kidswhat2do responded:
My son is 9 and a sleep walker too. He has had "night terrors" since he was an infant. Be glad your son isn't hitting you and screaming for you when you are standing infront of him. Anyway, the one thing that I have found after reading for years about the sleep walking is if you go in his room exactly 3 hours after he is asleep and just nudge him so he kinda comes out of his deep sleep. I just nudge him and tell him I love him and give him a kiss. But it keeps them from falling into that initial "deep sleep" when they walk. See how long he has been asleep when it happens...Like if he goes to bed at 8:30pm check him at 11:00pm. You have to do this every night for about 2 weeks. I still go up and do this when he has had a long day or is really tired. My son gets up and walks down stairs to my room and I have to walk him back up stairs and make him go pee then put him back in bed. I turn on the light in the bathroom and he kinda wakes up, but he doesnt remember anything in the morning. I hope this helps! good luck!

kidswhat2do replied to 4capickles's response:
I was going to do the sleep study but it was about $3000 out of pocket. Try reading info on "night terrors" my son walks too...he doesnt remember anything either...I posted a letter about the 3 hours after he is in bed...try it!!!

krubin30 responded:
I am having the same problem with my 10 year old. It has been going on for about a year and a half. I have called my pediatrician's office, They have said good luck. There is no solution except time. He has been in therapy. That has not worked. It is not consistant either. Sometimes he can go for a couple of months or it can be every couple of weeks. I have made him clean up, I have grounded him, I have given him nightlights, I have woken him up after he has gone to bed. Now I am going to leave his door open and make him get up and go every night. I will follow you to see if any other ideas come up.

An_221805 replied to krubin30's response:
My son is 8 also and he has been sleep walkking since he could walk. I'm guessing it's in the genes, because my brother used to do the same thing when he was little. He used to get up and go and pee in the closet, and in the grandfather clock. The living room would smell of urine. It took everyone a while to catch on to what he was doing. He never remembered the next day. My brother kept this up for years. When he was 13, I woke up and he was sitting on the floor right next to my bed looking at me but he was sleep with his eyes open. That spooked the hell out of me.--My son has been sleep walking since he was 1years old. He would get up and pee in the corner of the room, thinking it was the toilet. Or just go to the bathroom and pee all over it, no aim or anything. I just recently caught him with his penis out urinating down the hallway. I was furious. My 1 year old daughter was still awake and I cringe at the thought of him peeing on her. Dealing with this type of behavior is difficult to tolerate and understand. It's just plain weird. I always thought my brother was weird and he still is. The only advice I can offer that I know works for urination episodes, is to monitor their liquid intake. When I did that, he wouldn't get up at all. So that is what i will go back to doing.

fotogirl525 replied to An_221805's response:
Anon 37401, you seem a little insensitive, especially calling him weird. Your son has a problem that he can't control. People who sleepwalk can't control what they do. If a pediatrician can't help, try a urologist for testing and maybe even a therapist.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
It sounds like a trip to the pediatrician is in order for some insight into this behavior. Has this just recently started?

Here is some information on Sleep Disorders in Children .

Elleribag responded:
Put a diaper( pampers) and duct tape it on

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Elleribag's response:
http://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/sleepwalking/

Medicine can be used to interrupt a sleepwalking habit, if needed.