Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
The Dangers of Texting While Driving
katiees posted:
Did you know that even with all that is being done to help get the word out about the dangers of texting and driving, teens are still doing it? Legislation is in the works, but the biggest factor that can help deter teens from being on their phone while driving has to come from their parents. Here are a few facts to share with your teen about the risks of texting behind the wheel.

• Texting while driving takes your eyes off the road on average of five seconds at a time. At 55 mph, that's like driving the length of a football field - completely blind.

• It's like driving after having 4 beers. For the average person, that would put them at or above the legal limit to drive!

• Texting while driving makes us 23 times more likely to crash.

• Texting while driving results in car crashes that kill an average of 11 teens each day! Think of those parents.

• It results in 330,000 distracted driving injuries every year.
Please share these with your teen and pledge to not text and drive!Source: Allstate Teen Driver

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
For the most part text messaging laws are straight-forward, "Text Messaging is not Allowed While Driving", although the legislation tends to be much more wordy than that. Currently 19 States have a text messaging law, the following states are included;
Alaska, Arkansas, California , Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and West Virginia. A great resource for state-specific info is: www.drivinglaws.org , which is the source for the info above.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Andrew Adesman, MD's response:
Illinois just enacted the texting while driving laws here. I wish they would enact similar laws about other forms of distracted driving. Cell phone use is still allowed.

Worse are the people who put on make up, shave, watch DVDs, and seem to be trying to smack their children in the back seat-all common sights as you drive in the suburbs of Chicago.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.