Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

9 week old baby always hungry
looneykys posted:
My newborn is always hungry after pooping. Sometimes after a 4oz feeding he will poop and be hungry again within an hour. I try to entertain him as long as possible. If that doesn't work I give him the pacifier and he'll suck on that for a little while until he gets frustrated. Then I have no choice but to give him the bottle. Any suggestions?

121sweetie responded:
This is totally normal. Don't wait an hour or try to distract him with a pacifier, just go ahead and feed him--you might try feeding more than 4 oz at a time, sounds like he is not getting enough.

Valuableval responded:
feed him and try feeding more than 4 ounces...newborns eat often...underfeeding can lead to lack of thriving...all the best

Taurino; responded:
I think you should continue to feed him when he is hungry. He could be going through a growth spurt. My little guy is the same way. Every evening starting around 5:30 (after his 3.5oz) he is a nonstop eater. We joke that he has a hollow leg! I end up feeding him about 2oz every 1/2 hour after his regular feeding. It doesn't help to give him more at his feeding because he won't finish it. He wants it all spread out. He'll stay up and then finally after 1 of his feedings around 7:30, he ends up falling asleep around 8. This has been going on for a little more than a week, but I am now noticing a benefit from it. He is now sleeping through the night! It stinks to be constantly feeding him, but he ends up sleeping from 8pm to 5am. Might be incredibly different from other babies, but who said they are all suppose to be the same. Whatever works for him is what my concern is. And in this case, it also works for me!!

An_221833 replied to Taurino;'s response:
I think he is going through a growth spurt. My son was constantly hungry sporadically as a baby and would soon after have a growth spurt.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
At 9 weeks, I would have thought you would be at around 6 5-6 oz bottles of formula each day.

I seem to remember a 2.5 oz of formula for each pound of body weight and then divide that into 6-8 feedings per day at that age.

Wait-I just found a chart: Bottle Feeding-what is expected.

rubygirl82 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
formula feeding and breastfeeding are very different. My breast fed baby is 4 months old and still only takes 4oz at a time...what are you feeding? formula or bm? I feed my LO on demand. I wouldnt worry about it unless baby is not meeting milestones!

oliveoil83 responded:
All babies eat differently. My son was the same way and once he was 4 weeks I would put a tablespoon of baby cereal in his bottle and that did the trick. Doctors say its not good to do it so early but I did it with both of my kids and they gained weight just as fast but was not hungry every 2 hours. And definitely give him more then 4 oz. Babies know when they are full and won't just continue to eat, they constantly grow when they are newborns, which means lots of growth sperts. I hope this helps.

normarae5 replied to oliveoil83's response:
I did the same thing with my son Oliveoil83. He was three weeks old. You could not even see the cereal in the bottle or tell it was in the bottle but his stomach could tell. He not only was full but starting sleeping throught the night at three weeks. I know doctors do not recommend it that early but in our family all our kids were done like that. Good luck

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.