Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Concerned Daddy, PLEASE HELP...!!!!
lovemydaughters posted:
Hello,
I thank you all for reading and giving your input on something I need help on...

My 8 year old daughter, soon to be 9 in April, recently (one week ago) got her TB shot from her PCP. No side effects everything is fine. However today she came home from school and informed her mother that her school nurse gave her another TB shot today. My daughter told the scool nurse that she already received the shot one week ago and didnt need it but the school nurse proceeded anyways and administered it. I have a couple major concerns with this. First, is the double dose in her little system safe? From the health standpoint what should I look for? I have googled and tried to pull up something up on a double dose of TB and have found nothing informative. I am really scared about this. Secondly, from a legal standpoint comes my next concer. The school nurse administered this shot with no realase by me or my daughters mother. There was no waiver signed and we had no idea this was going to happen. Is this legal for a school nurse to just up and give your child a shot? I mean they cant even give a child tylenol if they have a headache, how is this any different? My daughter lives on an AFB in Alaska and I am so helpless as I dont reside there with them. I am extremely angry and have their mother calling the school tomorrow to voice or concerns and displeasures. If anyone can give me an insight on this matter I would be so appreciative. I feel my child was violated and need some answers. Thank you all very much and God bless you and your childrens health.

Thank you.

normarae5 responded:
I most definitly would be upset about this. I have never known a school to be able to administer shots or test without the authorization of the school. But I live in Mo. This does not happen here. The correct process should have been for the nurse to call the parents, even more when your daughter told her she already go the shot. Forget calling I would have the mother visit the school because that would be very concerning to me to. Good Luck... I would also go on the School Web site and see what you can find about their processes with this. Because for her to do that their must be some type of policy on tack or she was just really out stepping her boundaries.

mcanx781 responded:
The PPD skin test can be administered twice within a few minutes safely. As far as school procedures are concerned, I have no idea what goes on today, but years back parental consent was not required.

spaz77 replied to mcanx781's response:
The double dose of the TB test should be alright. Although just make sure she is not overtired, gets a rash, or headache...just some symptoms to watch out for.
As far as the school nurse goes...wow...I know here in MA we have to give consent for the nurse to administer any drug or shot. For example the H1N1 shots were available and we had to send back the consent form or they did NOT get the shot. We also had to send in the proof that they had already got the shot at their Doctors. But I would look at the fact that she's in another State than I and also look over the school hand book...or on the school's website. But a phone call or trip into the principal is definately in order here, because she should have called you to let you know she had the shot. That to me seems illegal...because it's a liability on the school if God for bid something did happen to her at school while she got the shot. Believe me I've had my share of issues with my kids school nurse...and she got fired because she wasn't doing her job right. You have the right to protect your child. Good luck! Let us know what is going on...please!

lovemydaughters responded:
Thank you all for your replies...

We have a meeting set up with the Principal and trust you me I have many questions for her. I will update when I hear what they have to say. Thank you all so much and God Bless you and your families...

Lovelovemom replied to lovemydaughters's response:
I can't even being to imagine how upset you must be. I reside in KY and recently the big Swine flu scare happened and the school system offered the vaccine to all attending children however, parents had to sign a waiver either yes or no before the shots were administered. I work in the school system here and we aren't even allowed to give kids tylenol or if they have been outside at the playground and picked up a tick from the kickball field we can't remove it. I just can't believe that the nurse gave her a shot. Is she even a real nurse? I know sometimes schools nurses aren't RN's? I hope your daughter is doing fine. Best of luck!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
It is safe to have two tb tests done within that time frame. I give tb tests. You should have mom talk with the administrater of the school as there should be written permission before giving any child an immunization unless they are at a doctors office in which verbal permission is okay. This is the policy in Washington State but you should contact the administrator and find out their policy. The school nurse should have verified the information prior to administering any vaccination. She is safe from a health standpoint but do watch for signs of any allergic reaction. The other thing to do is watch for a positive result with Tb skin tests as sometimes when you have them so close together they can run a false positive. If this is the case she could have a chest xray to prove she does not have the disease. Definately get a hold of the school and question there method. I would! Good Luck!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.