Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

It's Not Just My Food Revolution
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
The new TV show Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tackles childhood obesity by the plate - and getting junk food, sugar and French fries out of the cafeteria. It's all about making school food better and giving children healthy food choices. How can we make school lunches healthier? Read Jamie's blog post , then come back here to share your comments and concerns.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I think the fact that kids have so many choices for school lunches really hurts the school lunch program. For example, in an effort to have kids eat healthy in one of my children's schools-they had salad bar. It was a privilege for the children once they hit second or third grade to be able to buy lunch from the salad bar. Unfortunately, the kids would get heaping plates of pickles and croutons...not big leafy salads that the adults would have preferred they choose.

Shelly_Kaye responded:
My kids school sends home a lunch menu and it has all the calorie counts and healthy stats on it. But I can't help but wonder how healthy fried chicken sandwiches and french fries are once a week. They do serve fruits and veggies, but most kids opt not to eat them.

However, I don't know when 1/2 the schools in Indiana are having to cut millions of dollars in their budgets to help the state out how we can possible afford healthier lunch choices. It would be interesting to see how we can fix it without costing more.

Monamia responded:
I think Louise is on to something.... reduce the choices a bit so kids have only healthy choices available most of the time. Healthy food can be appetitizing if done right.

The blog was very interesting and the ideas so simple and straightforward. I'd heard of the food revolution and how people are really getting behind this and now I understand why. It makes so much sense.

BananaKing responded:
Jamie's show is great! I applaud the Virginia school district for wanting to make improvements, but as he noted, better food means that the schools need to get more reimbursement. This is so key for those children who don't get regular meals at home.

My teenage son will choose salads, pita pockets, and fruit for his lunch, however the healthier items cost more. He is always concerned about running out of money. Perhaps districts could find ways to use local resources that might be less expensive? Not every state has readily available local agriculture, but many do.

I think the lack of silverware is a huge mistake. It sets a poor social example for table manners which some kids never get at home because the family does not eat together or eats in front of the TV. I also think it promotes gulping food and picking food choices that will be easier to handle. I'm not saying we can't have picnics or finger food days--heck, I'm the BananaKing and all about fun--but we also need to be sure that we know how to behave in more formal settings, too.

pallzy replied to BananaKing's response:
I think the odds of our children choosing the healthier option starts at home. I used to be a complete junk food junkie. And it resulted in me weighing 275 pounds at 5'11". As I've changed my life around, so has my daughter. Now, she never was overweight, but her choices are changing right along with mine. Even at home, the bad choices are still there as my husband is rebelling against the idea of eating healthy. So there's plenty of junk food in the house for everyone to be tempted by. My daughter and I just choose the better ones. I am down to 168 pounds through healthier eating and exercise. Of course, it probably helps that I have one of those kids that does what I do. Always has.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to pallzy's response:
What is interesting about my kids schools is that the options there on the surface seem to be healthier-popchips instead of Doritos. Flavored waters and juices instead of sodas-but when you really look at what the kids choose-while "healthier" it isn't exactly the right message.

My kids have a swimming pool of messages they go through regarding food-from media and peers to people in their lives who feel home cooked and organic is always the healthier choice even if it has a lot more fat and calories to a sort of moderation approach. While I hope that the kids get all the right messages from their parents-I know that even really smart, well-informed parents can share messages that they don't completely understand or mean to share with their children.

I am glad your daughter is on the right path.

2luvtwins replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
I love that show. I didn't like how rude they were to him at first. I also believe that good habits start at home. My kids have always eaten fruits and vegies and they love them. But some homes are not like mine. So I think then, it's the schools responsiblity to step in, they spend more time there than they do at home. But I'm sure that it's expensive to buy healthy for the schools just like it is in the grocery stores for us.

Yes, I think we need to start with school lunches, but in my kids school, they only have PE once a week!!!! And there are some semester's they don't have it at all. Luckily my kids are active in sports and they work out with me. But why not focus on these kids getting more PE added to the schedule also. It's a combination of the two that would help. But I guess you have to start somewhere and less calories will lead to wt loss.

GREAT JOB Jamie. I've always watched what ever you do. Thanks for trying to help all of our kids. I know he wont read this, but I just wanted to give a SHOUT OUT. ha ha

Baby1at35 responded:
What I find interesting though is that looking at the school menus they haven't changed since I went to school. We honestly had the same thing hamburgers, fries, tacos, beans and hot dogs, ect. Along with fruits/veggies. So I started to think what has changed? My conclusion is EXERCISE! Schools are cutting PE and recess times. Just my own opinion.
I also think it all begins at home as well. Families are so very busy and there is all the food in a box, can ect. Easier and faster it seems than actually cooking. I grew up on a farm with fresh canned veggies from the garden, fruit and fresh meats we cooked .
Plus I was outside running /playing all the time and as I got older sports. Even in sports we still had PE.
I think personally it is the food at home that we need assistance with.
Plus the budget for the school lunches is so low. Also another thought as others have said less choices. We didn't even have choices for lunch we ate what was there and that was it.

JuicePlus4Health responded:
Congrats to Jamie. Maybe someone will see what we parents have been seeing for years. Make lunches, bring them from home. Find local farmers who would like to work with the school district, a win for both parties involved. In addition to healthier options in the lunch room, we as parents and educators must teach these children the dangers of unhealthy food choices. Show those kids what can happen if we don't eat healthy & move our bodies. Show them all the added sugar hidden in foods and why sugar harms our bodies. You can shape young tastes. They don't know, what they don't know. Dr. David Katz, from Yale prevention center has Turn the Tide Foundation. Education program for the classroom. Check it out! The food revolution has begun many years ago, get with it people.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Baby1at35's response:
When I was in school-we only had PE twice a week in elementary school. My kids have always had some sort of daily PE.

But...our mothers all turned us outside the entire summer and any other decent weather the rest of the time. We also didn't have landscaping crews in our neighborhood-families did yard work together and housework.

socialworkerbyprof replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Our school has very little funding, actually, the if thier levy doesn't pass, the state will take it over. It's a shame. The school district has always obtained excellence when graded by the state. Our district is in such dire straights that they have had to cut PE and Art classes...The community feels so frustrated because the district is asking us for more money than we can provide. over 16mils is a lot for our small hometown.
I would love our schools to implement healthy foods. I'm just not sure how they would even begin. It would be great to have the schools develop thier own garden, however; it's difficult to know which schools will remain open from year to year. That seems to be the only place my son will try new things. At home it ends in a battle of wills to get him to eat healthy foods.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.