Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
White Bump On My Daughter's Tongue
Pippa1028 posted:
My daughter was born October 28, 2004 with two very small white bumps on her tongue. One is on the top and the other is underneath, both of which are about the circumference of a pencil eraser and have remained the same size since she was born. Her pediatrician has said these are most likely harmless cysts, possibly created from her sucking her thumb in the womb. Unfortunately, she is now almost 6 and has started complaining about them, not in a pain sense but more of a frustration of them being in the way. I have been trying to research what these are, and what entails the removal of them. All I have been able to find are pages related to temporary issues from people, nothing like this. Is there a specific name for what these bumps are?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

An_221914 responded:
My daughter born April 27th/2010 also has a tiny white blister on the tip of her tongue. The pediatrician has also reassured my that it's a result of her sucking her thumb in the womb and it will go away. But honestly, i'm a very concerned, i've never heard of something like this until now and i would like to know exactly what we are dealing with. It does'nt seem to be something that is common and i'm quite concerned. My daughter is 6 weeks old now and this little white bump is still on her tongue..just as big, there has been no change. I would like to know what this is and how to get rid of it!!!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Have you talked to a pediatric dentist about this?

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
I agree with Louise; your child's dentist -- especially if he or she is a pediatric dentist -- should be able to give you some insight. It is almost certainly benign if it has been there for almost 6 years.

ksterry123 responded:
I have a 4 mo old daughter, she was born with the same bumps, one on top and one on the tip of her tounge. I noticed them the day she was born. The on call doctor at the hosptial told me it was her sucking her thumb in the womb, however her pediatrician said it was some type of mucus bumps that were not causing any harm or pain. He did say if they were still there at 6 months of age to take to to an oral surgeon, because they could get larger and would be difficult for her in the future.

chiromamma replied to An_221914's response:
My daughter was born April 18th and also has a small white bump on the tip of her toungue. Her doctor doesn't seem to know what it is either. I assume it is from sucking on her tongue in the womb. It doesn't seem to bother her and it has not changed. I still would like to know what it is. I've heard it could be an Epstein pearl, but those primarily occure on the roof of the mouth so I'm not sure. It's not thrush. Does anyone know what this could be?

Pippa1028 replied to An_221914's response:
My daughter's pediatrician told me the exact same thing! She said it was caused by her sucking her thumb in the womb, however my daughter will be 6 this October and they are still there. They haven't altered in size, shape, color etc. but they are still there. I was told they would have to be surgically removed... They do not bother her or cause her any pain, still she has expressed her desire to have them removed. We will be seeing her pediatrician in a couple weeks to determine what needs to be done...

Pippa1028 replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
She has been going to the dentist since her 2nd birthday, however nothing has been said by her dentist. Would it be in my best interest to bypass her pediatrician and handle this specifically with her dentist?

Teresa52804 responded:
My daughter was born with two spots on the tip of her tongue that are off white to yellowish in color and almost looks like a blister. She is now two years old and the spots are still there. We are getting set to an ENT for diagnosis next week. I have found similar stories about these sport and all cases seem to have the same few spot on the same location of the tongue.

Teresa52804 replied to ksterry123's response:
What ended up happening?? my daughter was born with the same thing and she is now two and the sport are still there.

tmtsw replied to Teresa52804's response:
What did the ENT say? My son is 18 months and was born with spots that sound exactly like what you are all describing. One at the tip of the tongue, and 3 others at the top of his tongue. I was also told by doctors that they are not a concern unless they bother him, but I was also told they would probably go away and they are definitely not going away. My main worry with this is that nobody seems to know exactly WHAT they are and have never seen it on the tongue before.

At his 18-month checkup I pointed it out to the new pediatrician and he did not say much but told me he would refer my son to an ENT to see if they knew more about them. Two weeks later, after hearing nothing else and a bunch of phone calls, I found out that there was never a referral put in, and that the dr basically doesn't remember us and wants to re-evaluate his mouth. Out of annoyance and a busy schedule I told them we would just wait until his next appt (which may be at 2-years-old) rather than make an extra trip with two kids. I am wondering if maybe I should go ahead and make another appointment. (?)

We just want to know what they are!!! I am so glad to see this thread and know our son is not the only one.

Blackwood replied to tmtsw's response:
My son who was born on December 13, 2011 was also born with two tiny bumps one at the tip of the upper tongue and one at the tip of the lower part of the tongue. I brought it up to his pediatrition when he was only a few weeks old and she said it was a result of sucking his thumb in the womb also. And not to worry about it unless it bothers him. We switiched my son's pediatrition and bought it up to the new one who did not know much about it and said they thought it was probably nothing to worry about but to make an appointment with a dental pediatrition. My son has an appointment tomorrow. And of course as a mother I am worried.
Just want to know what happened with your child? I hope everyone's child is and are doing ok! Praying tomorrow goes well and we don't have anything to worry about either!

goldfish87 responded:
Anyone have any updates? My 5 month old has this exactly!

Blackwood replied to goldfish87's response:
The pediatric dentist said to keep an eye on his tongue and that if it gets bigger than I could take him to get testing but since he wass so young that it would be traumatic for him to go through all of that. so now i am just keeping an eye on it and making sure it does not get any bigger.

lauren172011 responded:
I'm actually 20 years old and was born with a bump like what you're describing.. I was always told it was a birth mark by my doctor. I was never super curious about it until now, that's how I found your post. I wouldn't be ver worried about it, I've never had any issues with mine other than it tends to get sore sometimes which I believe happens when it gets lifted from being caught on my toothbrush for instance. I hope this gives everyone some peace of mind!

Helpful Tips

Son Peeing
I have a suggestion for the parents with the boy that is peeing in the house. Maybe he needs the "freedom" of peeing. I would let him go ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.