Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
14 year old with "security blanket"
4xdad posted:
While on vacation i discovered that my son who will be 15 this fall still uses his "security blanket" (a very ragged stuffed animal) we thought he had out grown it and threw it away, it seems that he just put it in a pillow case with his pillow so it would not be discovered. Is it normal for a boy his age to still have a "security blanket" my opinion says no, but my opinions have been wrong before. what should we do? or do we do nothing and let it pass?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Emmyl responded:
It may not be "normal" but is there really anything wrong with it? If he only sleeps with it, then I don't know if I would say anything or not. It would just embarrass him and make whatever insecurities he has even worse. How does he act during the day? Does he have trouble fitting in? Making friends? etc? I think I slept with various stuffed animals as a young teen. Maybe it's just a comfort thing. Sort of like a favorite pillow or book or something. Of course, my opinion may not mean much. My son is 1 and he carries around a plastic shovel instead of a blanket. lol

fcl responded:
This is the kind of thing that you really shouldn't force... If he feels happy with it just let it go. If it helps him to sleep why worry? I have a friend who had a blankie well into her teens and probably beyond. She's a successful business woman and mother of 3. It wouldn't worry me in the slightest to find out she still had her blankie

Pick your battles - this one isn't worth fighting over.

dgarner11 responded:
I slept with my teddy bear right through college. I gave it up when I got married though

is it normal? whats normal?

4xdad replied to dgarner11's response:
Yea, Normal was probably a poor choice, but i wasn't sure if i should have a concern about self esteem issues or something else.

4xdad replied to fcl's response:
I'm certainly not looking for a battle, at 15 I'm sure I'll be getting into more important problems to "battle" I'm just concerned about his emotional well being, could he be having deeper problems that i don't see. hopefully it is nothing and I'm over reacting.

4xdad replied to Emmyl's response:
"normal" was a poor word to use, but i raised my concern about his emotional well being, he seems to have a little low self esteem, so i was thinking this could be showing a deeper problem, he's a good boy, with very few problems i guess i shouldn't over react.

Emmyl replied to 4xdad's response:
I knew what you meant. I've never been a 15 year old boy, but having been a 15 year old girl I remember having all kinds of insecurities, it just goes with the age I guess. If a little rag of a blanket makes him feel better, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he drags it down the aisle with him when he gets married well...maybe then you have a problem. lol

fcl replied to 4xdad's response:
IMO you're overreacting. His blankie helps him feel secure. Taking it away could cause a lot of damage. If you think there are deeper problems then build a stronger communication bond with him (I am NOT criticizing your parenting skills). Let him know that you're there for him ...

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
My sister-in-law, almost 40, still has her security blanket to the best of our knowledge. I wouldn't worry about it.

Andrew Adesman, MD replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
At the risk of piling on, I would not be concerned about your son "cliniging" (forgive the pun) to a cherished transitional object such as this stuffed bear. My daughter slept with the torn and tattered remains of her baby blanket well into high school. She ultimately gave it up spontaneously before college -- though you can bet it was not discarded, just put away.

If all else is good, put this issue far out of your mind.

djkiditch responded:
it's normal. some kids just like to have something to believe protects them especially if they have a wild imagination. where anything could creep up on them at any time it just helps.

Boyzmomee responded:
I wouldn't worry about it if he seems otherwise fine.

121sweetie replied to Boyzmomee's response:
I am almost 40 and still sleep with my "blankie", I use it as a pillow and even took it to the hospital with me when I gave birth to my son. I tried to pass it off as a pillow but the nurse said "it's ok, I know it's a blankie", LOL!!!

Parulus replied to Louise_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for sharing about your sister-in-law. I still have my security blanket at 40.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.