Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Medicating a 5 year old for ADHD....
sgalli84 posted:
My daughter is expressing strong symptoms of ADHD, she is 5 years old and starting Kindergarten in two weeks. I feel that she needs medication and I'm worried if she doesn't get some sort of treatment she will run into massive problems in school. The preschool she attends have suggested I get her tested several times. Her behavior and constant "spastic" actions have caused really bad problems at home, she has also lost a lot of friends because of it. I asked her pediatrician about 5 months ago about options for my daughter and they refused to even talk about it with me because they said she is too young. Is this correct? I feel that she really needs help and I don't know where to turn. If she could try medication I think she would show great signs of improvement. Any advice?

djkiditch responded:
dont give her any adhd medicine the doctors say it's good but the side effects are crazy. my kid weighed about 56 pounds in fifth grade. we take him off the pill and he gains 60 pounds. it makes them never hungry. he went 2 days before even having a snack. i had to force him to eat. check the side effects.
P.S. side effects include nail biting skin peeling until bleeding. hair pulling.

Boyzmomee responded:
My son was 5 when we noticed strong signs of ADHD. He was impulsive, unfocused, hyperactive and had poor social skills. He was not learning as he should and lacked friends. He was in a good school and in partnership with his teachers we tried all sorts of interventions including behavior/classroom management skills all to no avail.

We
took him to a pediatric neurologist who did a an evaluation and diagnosed him with ADHD. He just turned 6 when the doctor started him on 5mg of Adderall in the am. I volunteered in his class and noticed some sedation. I called the doctor and he switched him to Adderall 10 mg extended release and bingo! We saw an improvement in all areas including motor skills.
We then had a child psychiatrist follow up on his ADHD treatment for the past 7 years. We have had to make small adjustments upwards in his medication due to growth.

He is 13 and doing wonderfully. He is getting good grades, has many friends, goes to summer camp, is working towards his Eagle rank in Boy Scouts and preparing for his Bar Mitzvah. The only side effect he has is a reduced appetite for lunch but that is easily worked around.

No, she is not too young. I share your concern. My advice would be to let your daughter start kindergarten and stay in close contact with her teacher. If there are concerns, get an evaluation from a good child psychiatrist. He can and will make recommendations for treatment if indeed your daughter has ADHD or any other areaas of concern.

Boyzmomee responded:
By the way, there is an ADHD community here.

beachgirl64 responded:
It is my understanding they will not dx ADHD until a child is school age. My son is ADHD, but I pretty much knew from an early age he was going to be dx'd with it.

We choose not to medicate due to other health concerns my son has. He does have an IEP in place to help him manange his school day and learning environement.

You should have her evaluated as the PP said, then approach the school to have either an IEP or 504 put in place.

Good luck.

Boyzmomee replied to beachgirl64's response:
That is incorrect. A diagnosis of ADHD does not have to wait "until school age."

I'm glad your son has school supports in place and hope those are going well for him!

An_221980 responded:
My son was seen when he was 3 years old and was said to have INNER adhd. That just terrified me to death. I proceeded to do a lot of research on it and found MANY ways to cope with his condition without using any type of medication. Medication to me is never an option, ESP those they give for ADHD. Try getting down on her level when you talk to her and making her repeat what you tell her and that will start helping. Our doctor also told us to try geting him in sports, to interact with other children and run some energy off. That helped A BUNCH. There's also certain foods that will trigger adhd to be worse. So my advice is to do some major research before putting your child on meds, they can cause your child to be more likely to get adicted to drugs as they grow up and lots more things. Good Luck!!!

Boyzmomee replied to An_221980's response:
Would you refuse medication if your child had diabetes or cancer? What about asthma?

This is no difference if the treatment is recommended by a competent professional.

It is you who need to do "major research." Children with ADHD who are appropriately treated with medication are substantially less likely to get addicted to any type of substance abuse, much less their own prescribed medications. There is also no credible research that substantiates your claim that certain "foods make ADHD much worse."

I have two sons. One with ADD and one with ADHD. The first one responded well to external supports, the second requires both medication and external supports.

My 13 year old is on medication and has been since age 6. He plays hockey, baseball and football. He is in the Boy Scouts working towards his Eagle Rank. He will start Fire Explorers next year. We camp, fish etc. as we are outdoor people. My son's Bar Mitzvah is in October. He has completed all of his studies. Next week he is starting 7th grade. He has a 504 plan in place.

All of these accomplishments occurred with both environmental supports and medication. Each child is unique. I never outright reject medical treatment nor advise others to do so.

There are many options to try both before medication with medication.

djkiditch replied to Boyzmomee's response:
SINCE the dawn of man people have daelt with it hell, thomas jefferson had it. But it's all just labels for kids that think different or are more impulsive because people who don't have adhd don't realize that you get what you get and if you can't handle your body by yourself then you're in trouble and adhd isn't serious.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to djkiditch's response:
The degrees of ADHD differ wildly and while it isn't a serious hurdle for some children and adults--it can prove significantly difficult for some children and adults to handle without appropriate behavioral modification training and medication.

The signs of Adult ADHD (or untreated adult ADHD) --pretty serious--including traffic accidents and relationship problems.

In children, ADHD can prevent them from learning all they can in school. Here is more information on ADHD , treatment and reasons for treatment.

While Thomas Jefferson may have exhibited signs of ADHD, as many other successful people, that doesn't mean that treatment is wrong. Nearly everyone exhibits some symptoms of ADD/ADHD at some point during their life. If those symptoms interfere with learning or activities of daily life--then it is time to seek treatment.

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
I want to also point you to our ADD/ADHD community .

Pursue this with your child's pediatrician and get a referral to someone with experience in diagnosing learning disorders in young children. Here is more information on Diagnosing ADD/ADHD , what her physician should rule out medically that causes similar symptoms, and what types of health care professionals diagnose ADD/ADHD as well as other learning and behavior disorders.

Boyzmomee replied to djkiditch's response:
ADHD can be very serious. Childrens symptoms can be so significant that their learning is impaired and they lack friends due to impulsivity and the resulting behaviors from that. They can end up with very poor educational attainment, social isolation, poor self esteem and even depression.

Adults with untreated ADHD can have poor occupational records, the inability to keep employment or gain employment, relationship difficulties and poor driving records due to inattention and impulsivity.

It has nothing to do with "thinking differently." That has no factual basis.

Brain scans of people with ADHD show differences. Their brains function differently.

I suppose we can say the same about people who require glasses. They "get what they get" and they should just handle it.

As for me, I have glasses because I am legally blind without them.

I'm sure George Washington would have availed himself of modern dental care had it been available to him during his lifetime. He suffered because of the lack of it.

undefined replied to An_221980's response:
Let me start by saying that I commend you for all you are doing to help your child with their behavioral problems. ADHD is much more than just behavioral. I have 2 children with ADHD (18 & 5). We tried everything, including diet and activities. Activities (Sports) were almost unbearable for them because they absolutely could not focus. My children were tested a variety of ways and when nothing else worked to improve their quality of life we tried meds. Medication has given my children what nothing else could. They have friends are succeeding in school and life. I said all of this to say, your child was probably never ADHD or ADD to begin with if those types of interventions worked.

Helpful Tips

Son Peeing
I have a suggestion for the parents with the boy that is peeing in the house. Maybe he needs the "freedom" of peeing. I would let him go ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 2 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.