Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

I have a Bed wetter
andprice posted:
My almost 7 year old started wetting the bed after being dry for a while. He was dry at night for probably 3 months? I don't remember exactly. But now he wets again, and even waking him up during the night to have him use the bathroom doesn't result in a dry morning.

Any advice from other parents who have gone through this?

Thanks!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here is some information that might help about bedwetting in children

djkiditch responded:
HEre's a solution that ALWAYS works. put him on night time daipers until he can go a full 2 months withou wetting but keep the daipers so u can say if you cannot do it you must wear this daiper NO EXCEPTIONS. you are sick of the smell tell him all that guaranteed to work.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to djkiditch's response:
Yikes. I don't think that putting a 7-year-old in diaper is the right answer at all. First, ruling out a medical problem seems in order. Then working on it through behavior modification and using the ideas in this article on How to Stop Bedwetting.

eastcoastbeachgirl responded:
Agree with Louise, I don't think it is a good idea to put a night diaper on a 7 yr old, who is most likely as upset about the bed wetting as your are.

Where he was dry for awhile, I would have him checked out by his pedi to rule out anything medical going on.

Lots of encouragement, limiting liquids an hour or so before bed and a good mattress cover should help him move in the right direction.

My son, almost 7, has episodes of bed wetting still. As he has gotten older, these episodes happen less and less, but have not stopped yet.

He is extremely active during the day, especially during the summer months and a heavy sleeper. He doesn't wake until after he has started to go. He gets pretty upset about it, I don't make a big deal about it. I have him try going in the bathroom to make sure he is done, then I help him clean up himself and the bed, hugs and kisses and back to bed. I just throw the bedding into the washer to be done in the morning.

Good luck.

Boyzmomee replied to djkiditch's response:
Trying to humiliate a child out of bedwetting is not recommended.

A
child can have physiological problems or have physical immaturity.
There are other ways to help a child with enuresis such as behavioral methods and/or medication.

ASheeley responded:
Since he stopped then restarted, you should check with a doctor to make sure it isn't medical first. After that try a bedwetting alarm. They help most kids stop wetting in a month or two. You can get them at http://bedwettingstore.com/bedwetting-alarms.html

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.