Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
trouble playing with groups of kids
buffdaddy34 posted:
Hi all. My son is 6 yrs old,(ADHD - but good behavior on his meds) and is a wonderful son, except in a specific circumstance. When he plays in a group of kids, if they aren't playing with him or what he wants to play - he ends up with lots of name calling and generally bad behavior. This is usually a problem after supper/later on =in the evenings. This leads to alot of stress between my girlfriend and I as it can ruin our family evenings /evenings with friends.

IS is just a matter of that his ritalin (1 dose in the morning) has worn off and the hyper/impulsivity is back? I

Any thoughts

1986_Phelan_Mae responded:
Well that particular med usually is long lasting, it may just be that its getting late in the evening, his body is starting to wear down and that his mind and body are compenstating for the lack of energy. I would advise a "quite time" in the evening where insted of outside play time, that he stay inside, watch a movie, play a game with you, just wind down for the evening. He'll probably throw a fit and want to go outside, but stand your ground and distract him with other fun things to do.

good luck :)

buffdaddy34 replied to 1986_Phelan_Mae's response:
There is no lack of energy. He can't sit still and watch a movie. Its ok in summer we can go for a bike ride or play basketball, but in winter or rainy days we're kinda stuck inside my small basement suite. ANd its not eay to distract him when the meds wear off - that makes him both hyper and loses his ability to focus.

Andrew Adesman, MD replied to buffdaddy34's response:
It is impossible to know how long his medication should be lasting. Typically, Ritalin tablets last about 4 hours, Ritalin SR tablets last about 6 hours, Ritalin LA capsules last about 8 hours, Focalin XR capsules last about 10 hours, and Concerta caplets last about 12 hours. Of course, these are just averages, and there is considerable variability among children.

If you think the medication has worn off, you can ask your doctor about either changing the morning medicine to something that would last longer, or you could ask about adding a short-acting pill in the afternoon on an as-needed basis. (If your child has difficulty swallowing pills, they also make a lqiuid and chewable form of short-acting Ritalin formulation called Methylin.

Good luck, and let me know if you need more info about meds.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.