Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
4 month old vomitting for 6 days
ynggranny posted:
My 4 month old grandson has been vomitting for six days. He started last saturday and my daughter was concerned enough to bring him in to the ER. He was admitted for two nights for observation and the doctor told her it was a GI bug. He Seemed to get better and was sent home, yet now he seems to vomit every time he breastfeeds. Could the breastmilk be making him ill? My daughter has not been eating anything new and stopped drinking coffee to see if this may be the problem. Nothing seems to be helping. He has no other symptoms and is not even fussy from this. What can be done for this liitle guy?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I wouldn't think it could be the breastmilk-- as you said, mom's not eating anything new. Is she taking any new medications or supplements?

The most likely explanation as you were told is a "GI bug", and sometimes these just have to run their course. He ought to be offered more-frequent, smaller nursing meals, and mom ought to be keeping an eye on his urine output and overall activity level to make sure he's getting enough fluids.

If the vomiting persists, there are some unusual and rare causes that ought to be explored, so mom should definitely stay in touch with the pediatrician. Best of luck!

ynggranny replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you for your reply. This is what the doctors have said.
Mom is not taking anything new. She is also giving him pedialyte. Her pediatrician told her it can take up to three weeks to run its course. Thank you again. Mom will keep an eye on baby for sure.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to ynggranny's response:
Let us know how he is doing. I hope he is better soon.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.