Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Question about my daughter
s_kurzhals posted:
My 17 month old Daughter has been doing this wierd thing for several months now and we can't figure out what it could be. Anytime she is sitting in her car seat, highchair, etc she clenches her legs together and moves back and forth (almost as if she is grinding on something) and then her face gets a little red. Her whole body gets tense, and I can't get her to stop. We thought maybe it was a yeast infection so we got stuff to treat her for that and no improvement. Does anyone know what this is or how we can treat it? I explained it to her doctor and he didn't seem to care or think it was an issue but I couldn't show him either as she doesn't do it on demand. Could it be some kind of infection? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

So, her private area and bottom appear to look healthy ? No redness or rash at all ?? Is she in "typical" disposable diapers?
I was thinking if she is going potty and it stings ??
Will she look at you while this is going on? Besides her red face, does anything else look odd ??

I have an idea.

How about take a video of her doing this. Use your cell phone or a video recorder. I would chart down how many times a day this happens and how long she stays in that position.

I would then take that info (and video) to her Dr. for him to see.

I hope you find some answers soon!! Take care,
-Kathleen

s_kurzhals replied to momuv4girls's response:
Her private area looks normal to me and when I asked her dr if it could be yeast infection he said everything looks normal but he gave me a cream to try just in case. I am not sure if it stings when she goes potty she doesn't make any faces or cry.

I did record a video so I am going to take it to him, and maybe get another doctors opinion on it as well if he can't figure it out. I am hoping to have some ideas that I can approach him with just in case.

Thanks Kathleen for responding

momuv4girls replied to s_kurzhals's response:
That's great....glad you took a video of her. I think its important to note how many times a day and/or week this happens.

Good luck on finding an answer, hopefully the Dr. will be able to help, once he sees the video.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to momuv4girls's response:
This is one of those answers that's easier to give in person, because it's such a personal issue, and different parents respond differently. I certainly don't mean to offend. Your daughter is doing something that is normal. She's stimulating herself. Yes, infants and babies can learn to do this. No, there is nothing wrong with her, and this does not mean that she's been abused or is in any way abnormal sexually.

I recommend you gently distract her into some other kind of activity. Try not to over-react, or otherwise draw attention to the situation.

The suggestion that you video this so your doctor can see it is a good one, to confirm the impression that I have. If it's absolutely necessary, you can even visit a neurologist to watch the tape-- but honestly your description is quite characteristic, and any experienced pediatrician has seen and heard of this many times. No big invasive workup is typically necessary.

Louise_WebMD_Staff replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
That was what I thought might be going on as well. I had a similar problem trying to decide how to phrase it.

Boyzmomee replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Yes, I thought about that too since there didn't appear to be any physical problem.

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.