Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

I need help re: cat and babies.
dolo977 posted:
Hello,

This may be an odd question but I could really use some input from anyone who can help. I am expecting twins in a month or so. I have a cat who is about 7 years old. I had her since she was a kitten, I regret not properly socializing her when she was young. I was not married at the time so the cat was home alone a lot due to me working. If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten two kittens to keep each other company. Anyway she is a great cat towards my husband and I and a few other people that she sees often, but she has aggression towards strangers and noises. I heard about Feliway spray and wanted to know if it is worth a shot... most importantly how can I find out if this is safe to use while being pregnant and around the babies when they are here. I am desperate and don't want to have to get rid of her because I don't know if she will be able to find another home being the way she is but I need to keep my babies safe and people who come into my home.

suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

FCL responded:
I think you may be worrying for nothing. Cats don't need another cat for company, they are loners by nature. The chances are you'll all do well when the babies arrive (the cat might feel a bit neglected but ... well, too bad - lol). The first thing you need to do is make sure your husband takes home some of the babies' clothes from the maternity so that the cat can get usedt o the smell of the new arrivals. Second, never leave the cat alone with the babies (this goes for any cat, even the sweetest of cats, let alone one that is a little nervous). Third, make a big fuss of your cat, cuddle it more than you normally would so it doesn't feel left out. When visitors come round, why not just close the cat into a room? (That's what my mother did with her cat - an outdoor cat, btw - when she didn't want to risk the cat coming in and objecting to visitors.)

There are solutions and you don't necessarily need to use chemicals - get the cat accustomed to them, give it plenty of affection and use segregation when necessary.

If you really do want to use the spray, you need to ask your doctor about it ...

Best wishes and good luck!

Louise_WebMD_Staff responded:
You should ask this question over on the pets community . They will know more about this spray and alternative ideas.

I personally would relax. Cats generally either take to babies (even if they are horrid to other people) or avoid them completely.

Cat behavior corrections I have heard usually involve a spray of water or a soda can with nails in it that you shake when they misbehave.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.