Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
After Tract Infection in 5 year old Girl
An_222008 posted:
My wife and I are concerned. My daughter, was on antibotics for 2 weeks now off, is still having stomach aches under the belly button. She had an ultra sound for the kidneys however, the pain then would be located on the sides. Has anyone dealt with this and is this common?

momuv4girls responded:
Something similar happened to my daughter and after an x-ray, the Dr. determined it was a back-up of stool in her intestines.

We were really surprised, because she has regular bowel movements, but the Dr. told us that often times kids are in a hurry and don't get all their stool out, and over time it will build up and cause extreme pain in the abdomen and in the belly button area.

She was given instructions to take Miralax daily for several weeks, and whamoo, that did the trick.

I would ask her Dr. to do a simply x-ray to determine if this is what is going on with your daughter.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to momuv4girls's response:
If your child is reasonably comfortable with the doctor, I think he or she could figure out if there was constipation just by feeling the belly. Works for me.

Many, many young kids are constipated; and constipated kids tend to hold their urine, too-- leading to urinary tract infections. You'll want to fix the constipation (if that's confirmed) to avoid more urinary infections.

BLongway replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thank you for the heads up. I brought this up to the doctor and this was going to be the next step. However, it looks like we caught it in time and yogart is working. It seems, at least at this point, it turned out that after the antibody medicine was done, she lost all bacteria (good and bad). This was making the stomach pains. Thanks for the heads up, it was very helpful.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.