Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
my five-year-old son avoids eye contact when an adult talks to him
An_222016 posted:

Take the Poll

Children who avoid eye contact
  • premies
  • immature children
vote
View Poll Results

triss84 responded:
I do not think it has to do with either one. My son was a premie and never had a problem and immature doesn't seem to be a cause in my mind either. I babysit a child who is 7 and will not, no matter what make eye contact... not to be defiant, it clearly makes him over whelmed

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
Gaze avoidance can reflect shyness in a child who is otherwise completely social and appropriate with peers and familiar adults. On the other hand, if there are issues with lanaguage and/or play skills, or if your child has unusual interests or reptitive behaviors, then I would encourage you to confer with your pediatrician and possibly see a developmental pediatrician since gaze avoidance in the context of these other signs is suggestive of a more significant and posisbly "pervasive" developmental disorder. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.