Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    melinal posted:
    My grandson is 8...When he started K-4 at the age of 4/5 he did his work well but had a problem with his conduct...up until now he has been making A & B's until this year...he is in the 3rd grade his conduct grade is F and all of his other grades are not much better...I volunteer at his school 2 times a week and have a great relationship with his teacher...After a lot of crying, I took him to his pediatrician he is on Amphetamine ER 10mg. long will it be before we will be able to see if this is working...He will be taking this 5 days a week no weekends and nothing during the summer...Needless to say I am scared to death...His mother is completely out of the picture and its just my son and I...I'm the primary caregiver and he comes to me for everything which is another problem in its self...CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY HELP...Thanks
    momuv4girls responded:

    I am wondering how your g-son behaves at home? Will he listen to you and be respectful? Are you sure he has AD(H)D ?
    In general, I think it is best to have a child psychiatrist evaluate/treat a child with potential AD(H)D.

    There are many potential side-effects from these medications, and they need to be monitored closely by a Dr., preferably a child psychiatrist.

    The same medication can have a different response - - meaning a med could work great for one child, yet be a disaster for another.

    Keep a journal of your son's behavior and seek a second opinion if you are not convinced with the Dr.s advice/diagnosis.

    Take care,

    Helpful Tips

    Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 26 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.