Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

help
melinal posted:
My grandson is 8...When he started K-4 at the age of 4/5 he did his work well but had a problem with his conduct...up until now he has been making A & B's until this year...he is in the 3rd grade his conduct grade is F and all of his other grades are not much better...I volunteer at his school 2 times a week and have a great relationship with his teacher...After a lot of crying, I took him to his pediatrician ...now he is on Amphetamine ER 10mg. cap...how long will it be before we will be able to see if this is working...He will be taking this 5 days a week no weekends and nothing during the summer...Needless to say I am scared to death...His mother is completely out of the picture and its just my son and I...I'm the primary caregiver and he comes to me for everything which is another problem in its self...CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY HELP...Thanks

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

I am wondering how your g-son behaves at home? Will he listen to you and be respectful? Are you sure he has AD(H)D ?
In general, I think it is best to have a child psychiatrist evaluate/treat a child with potential AD(H)D.

There are many potential side-effects from these medications, and they need to be monitored closely by a Dr., preferably a child psychiatrist.

The same medication can have a different response - - meaning a med could work great for one child, yet be a disaster for another.

Keep a journal of your son's behavior and seek a second opinion if you are not convinced with the Dr.s advice/diagnosis.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.