Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
7 yr. old still having urinary accidents
An_222020 posted:
My daughter goes through spurts of accidents, mostly at night. She says she is focusing on sleeping and can't get up to go to the bathroom. When she has accidents during the day, she says she didn't know. I'm not sure what to do anymore. We have checked for uti's in the past and not gotten much answers from our doctors. Any ideas?
Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
Believe it or not, a small number of children are genetically disposed to delayed night-time dryness -- with "nocturnal urinary continence" not being achieved until the teen years. In these cases, there is usually a family member (parent and/or a sibling) who also did not achieve continence until late. Assuming this is not regression in a child who was previously dry at night for years, you may want to put less pressure on your daughter if you think it could be genetic. If you want to pursue trying to achieve dryness, you should confer with your pediatrician or a behavioral psychologist about using a behavior modification program in conjunction with an alarm system. These affordable devices signal to the sleeping child when they have started to have an accident. Nightime wakening is usually a parent's first approach, but it is seldom adequate or ideal. There are medicines that can achieve dryness quickly, but you need to continue using them to maintain the benefits. I would not recommend using medication unless it is specifically for isolated events like sleep-overs or other times when social stigma could be embarrassing. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.