Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
need help
polako posted:
My daughter is 27 month old and is been potty trained for about 4 months and she goes pee in the potty but she always goes poo in the bed. I put her with a pull-up but she takes it off and eat it or breaks it and I put her with payamas and she takes that off. I have tried to put every thing backwards but she finds a way to take it off, and she normally does all of this when i turn the tv off for sleeping time and i would say that i have tried everthing to stop it and now i don't now what to do to stop her at night.

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
Is she actually pooping into the sheets? Can your daughter explain why she pulls of the pull-ups? (Eating a pull-up is pretty unusual behavior; how does she explain this?)

Normally, the best way to train a child for BM's is to take advantage of the gastro-colic reflex - which is the body's natural urge to make a BM after a meal. Experts recommend having you daughter sit on the toilet for 5-10 minutes while you engage in an enjoyale activity like telling her a story or reading a picture book. You can also create a positive incentive with some small gift-wrapped items -- such as trinkets from a party store. Edible rewards can also be effective.

One other option: assuming she is not just soiling on the sheets and that you can get her to accept the pull-up (again with praise and rewards), you could just wait a few months and then try again in 2-3 months.

polako replied to Andrew Adesman, MD's response:
no she doesn't explain it but she now that she is doing wrong . And for the BM in the bed we take her to the potty every night before bed but she still goes in the bed after she takes her pull-up of.

seeit2 responded:
Is she doing it to protest the fact that you are turning the TV off? Is the TV in her room or another room?

polako replied to seeit2's response:
i belive that it could be posible because normally she does it after i turn the tv off but not always and their have been times that she does it even when watching tv.

seeit2 replied to polako's response:
If you are turning the TV off at the same time every night, and she goes at the same time, then this is probably just the regular time her body says to go. (You could set your clock by my DD - that's how good her little schedule is LOL!) It might be a good idea to put her on the potty BEFORE the usual TV turn-off time, if this seems like a "regular time", and see if she doesn't go in the potty. (If you have not already tried that).

If you think she is pooping in bed to protest the TV going off, like it is a behavior thing, then that is something altogether different. If you think that's it then let us know and I bet you'll get some different advice. :) She could also be protesting the pullups, though eating them is an odd way to do that - maybe putting her in undies might help her feel the poop and want to go on the potty instead, kwim?

Personally, I think if you don't really know what it is, then putting her back in a diaper and backing off on the training for a few months is probably the best way to go. Sometimes our babies are just trying to tell us it is all happening too fast and they are not ready.

Yes i have tried to put her in the potty after i turn the tv off but she doesn't go ( and she knows how to cause she does it in the daytime ) and waits to be in bed to go and i don't know if she's protesting or just doing it to bother us because she does ti before or after i turn the tv off, and we have tried to put a timer to check her very often to avoid it but we think she waits for one of us leave so she can do it.

And about the pull-ups i have tried to put her in her undies that she loves, but at the first turn around she will take them off and pee or poop in the bed. And i have tried to put her in everything i can think off and she will take it off one way or another including her's payamas, so i don't know what else to do

seeit2 replied to polako's response:
THis is a stumper. I know many kids prefer to be naked when they go to the potty - do you think that could have something to do with it? Or maybe she likes the attention she gets from soiling the bed? (positive or negative)

I don't know couse i leave her all day at home naked, including training her and sometimes at nap time but she will poop all over the bed knowing that when she is in bed she has to call one of us and when she poops in bed we decided to take away her tv until she stops.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.