Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
child do bathroom in class room
An_222023 posted:
Hi
I have daughter 5 years old she is in K she do bathroom & pupu accident in home and school I talk to her why you are doing this please go to bathroom !! her answer is oh I forget ,some time if she did accident she hide and play with kids or walk along to wall and when I ask her did you did pipi in your underpant and she said NO I have to force her to chang wet cloth same thing she is doing in school she has bathroom in her class room she refuse to go to bath room, in night time she is not wetting her bed she stand and go to bathroom .

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
If she is wetting herself AND soiling herself during the day but not at home, there is a high probability that this is behavioral, and not a medical problem. You should explore if there are any fears about the bathroom at school. You should also implement a behavior chart to reward days without accidents. Lastly, you can try to build in bathroom breaks from a preventive standpoint -- typically after meals or every 2 hours untilshe can maintain herself without accidents. You should review your concerns with your child's doctor. You need to consider if there are any new stresses (if this represents a change from a period when she was previously without accidents) and you need to be sure there are no other areas of regression developmentally -- such as clumsiness or other motor problems. Your doctor may want to do a urine culture, but this is liekly to be normal if she is wetting and soiling herself. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.