Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Options Instead of Halloween Candies
Roy Benaroch, MD posted:
First, I'll admit that I love candy. Especially chocolate. And especially chocolate with coconut, because my kids don't like coconut, so I get it all to myself!

But sometimes enough is enough. Your kids will get plenty of candy from the neighbors-- have you thought about something a little different this year?

Could be a different food-- maybe pretzels, or nuts (warn parents about allergies!). How about coins, at least for older kids, or stickers or craft supplies?

What other creative ideas can you come up with for non-candy treats?

(PS. If you're in my neighborhood, give out some Almond Joys, too!)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

An_222024 responded:
I'm pretty sure if you give out something other than candy, you're house will get egged

Its up to the parents to limit what the kids eat out of their treats and stagger it

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
I love Almond Joys too!

Kids love silly bands and also wash off tattoos.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
I have seen where you can buy little tubs of Playdoh for Halloween. That seems like something that is still fun without being candy, but they are a little pricey.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to GermaphobeTeacher's response:
That is a great idea! Any Dollar Store, or 5 Below will have some great bargains. :)

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Son walked by, read over my shoulder, and said, "Bagels. Everyone loves bagels."

seeit2 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
My DD has multiple food allergies. We have her trick or treat and then trade her for a bunch of little toys. I get them in bulk from Oriental Trading and hand them out with candy at the door - many times the toys go before the candy does. (last year, little rubber duckies with fangs and frankenstein neck-bolts, and orange pumpkin slinkies).

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Your son is right, I love bagels! Waves to Dr. Benaroch's son!

An_222025 responded:
Woah! Why are you trying to ruin a good thing? It's not like they're going to scarf it all down in one night. Don't be haters, hand out real sugary tooth rotting bellyache inducing candy. Or your house SHOULD get egged.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to An_222025's response:
Hi Anon_77243,

We can also give out other cool treats too. Many children are allergic to nuts,This candy recall: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm230723.htm shows many candies with undeclared nuts that would possibly harm a child that is allergic, so those children might prefer a silly band instead. Children with braces on their teeth will also like other options because they have to stay away from gooey foods. :)

Barb4545 responded:
I had to chime in on this one!

You got me with the coconut and chocolate. LOL. Love, love, love Almond Joys.

How about combining the chocolate and the good stuff? My kids love chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate covered fruits. You can also give out mini Rice Krispies Treats. I did that last year and they were a huge hit with the neighborhood kids.

Some of the candy alternatives are a bit more pricey, and you have to appeal to the kids, not the parents. Those silly bands are a wonderful idea! Not sure who suggested them.

I've given out spider rings, pencils, cute pencil erasers, little water squirters (always a hit with the boys) and other stuff.

What I do NOT recommend is those toys that are sticky...sticky hands and sticky eyeballs. They have some sort of goo on them that will RUIN the paint on your walls if the kids splat them on there. Ugh. Neighborhood parents will shun you after Halloween. LOL.

But, like most of the others here have said, candy is what the kids really want. It's up to us parents to make sure they don't eat too much.

Barb

Boyzmomee replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
....with lox.

Boyzmomee responded:
No, I think candy is just right for Halloween.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Let me tell you all the True ending to this story:

As often happens, the mischief began at Costco, where my wife and I found a big barrel of individually-wrapped pretzels, all decorated for Halloween. What a good idea, right?

As Halloween approached, we both had misgivings. Our teenager even accused us of becoming "That kind of parents!"

So, we bought a great big bag of candy, and left it on the doorstop in a big bowl while we went out with the kids. And a group of not-from-our neighborhood kids stole the entire bowl, with all of the candy, all in one swoop.

We ended up giving out the pretzels, what else could be do?

seeit2 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
This never would have happened if it had been bagels.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.