Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

2 year old grandson's behavior
SheriNtexas posted:
My 2 year old grandson was a VERY calm baby....but he is 2 now....and in the last 2 weeks, especially....his behavior is driving my daughter NUTS! He is combative, he bites her, or tries to bite her, he pinches, screams, etc. We all know about the terrible twos, of course, but she is worried that this is something more...i personally don't remember my kids ever acting like he does.....i just can't remember if this is normal behavior or if there is something more to it....it has really gotten worse in the last week or so....now when she comes over with him, i cringe at the thought of him starting one of his tantrums....the other day he was playing on the play stuff in my backyard, i picked him up and told him it was time to go in, and he went ballistic! He pinched my neck, bit my arm, and started screaming at the top of his lungs! Does this sound like normal behavior? I would appreciate any advice or insight that y'all have...my daughter is such a good mom, and she has WAY more patience that I do, lol....but his behavior is just getting worse and worse....and we don't know what to do about it....thanks so much!!

Signed,
Sheri (a very worried Gigi) :)

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Sheri,

There are various parenting tips to help when dealing with a challenging toddler.
You and your daughter should read:

http://www.parentmagic.com/

In the meantime, try to be patient and ignore the tantrums - - leave the room, walk outside, do something else....don't give him any attention for throwing the fuss.

I bet a bit of forethought might help him ........ For example, if you need him to come inside, give him a warning, say "Gigi is coming to get you in 2-minutes, then will come inside and wash up for lunch"
Even though he doesn't exactly understand 2-minutes, you are telling him what he is expected to do in a minute or 2. You could even put an egg timer in front of him and show him, when 2-minutes are up, then its time to come inside.
If he throws a fit when you tell him this - - just ignore it, but follow through with what you told him.

The Parenting Magic book goes into stuff like this and offers up a lot of good / helpful advice.

Hope this helps a bit ! Take care,
-Kathleen

SheriNtexas replied to momuv4girls's response:
Thanks for the link, and the info, Kathleen! I will definitely pass this along to my daughter!! He is such a delightful boy when he is in a good mood....he is a real charmer....but i can see that she is getting very frustrated with him and is kinda at her wits end....i will definitely try some of your suggestions, and let her know them as well! thanks again!!

sheri

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to SheriNtexas's response:
Hi Sheri,

Also consider his diet as a possible factor, I notice red dyes set my youngest son off like a rocket. Caffine, molasses and sugars were all the items we cut from our son's diet. It helped him calm down a great deal. Please keep us updated.

SheriNtexas replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Wow....i hadn't thought about his diet! i'll be sure and let my daughter know to watch out for that as well!! thanks SO much!!!

sheri

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.