Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Odd Rash
Sturdly1981 posted:
A few weeks ago (on 10/3), my son got a rash, we took him to the doctor to see if it was chicken pox, it didn't look like it, plus he had been vaccinated, so we were confused. The Urgent Care doctor told us it was Hand-Foot-Mouth disease, the took a culture of one of the blisters on his lip which tested positive for strep.
On 10/5 we went to our primary care physician because he had developed pink eye.
By 10/10 the rash had healed, he had finished his antibiotics, and his pink eye was healed.
Today (10/17) we found another one of these rash bumps. But after scouring the interned for pictures of Hand-Foot-Mouth, I'm not really convinced the first doctor was right, and by the time we saw our PCP the rash was healing. Now he has a rash that has a red spot, the size of a small nail head with a white spot in the middle that looks pointed. Could this really be the HFMD? He only has a single spot of it, on his thigh, it's not a full break out, same as it was before, one or 2 spots (except his buttock, that was covered). I'm not sure what do to.

momuv4girls responded:
One of my daughters always got weird bump/rashes that always stumped us. I finally found a really good dermatologist that determined hers were caused by a virus - the bumps looked really similar to chicken pox, but they didn't itch.

I'd suggest you find a good dermatologist to see your son and see what information he can offer up.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Sturdly1981 responded:
Well, the doctor said, this time anyway, it looks like infected hair follicles. So, we will have to see if the cream he gave me works.

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to Sturdly1981's response:
Rashes are tough to describe, and tough to diagnose without seeing them.

From your description, "Now he has a rash that has a red spot, the size of a small nail head with a white spot in the middle that looks pointed," a little infected spot of impetigo or folliculitis sounds reasonable. This single spot certainly isn't Hand Foot Mouth, and is probably not related to the more-widespread rash of a few weeks ago.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.