Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    How to get a child who doesn't care, care.
    An_222029 posted:
    My child is 15 years old, and all my childs life he states he doesn't care. I have tried incentives for him to get chores done, school work done, doesn't matter. My child wants to be in full control of when things get done versus when teacher states it should be completed or us. I have thought of counseling but not a big fan of it. Have suggestions or helpful ideas would be great.

    Take the Poll

    Should we seek counseling?
    • Yes
    • No
    View Poll Results
    momuv4girls responded:
    I see no reason why you shouldn't seek out professional help here. It certainly couldn't hurt, and most likely help.

    I take my 16 year old (who I don't see eye to eye with) to see an adolescent psychologist. She will visit with her, then I will visit with her and then once a month or so, we'll chat with the Dr. together.
    A professional can put things in a different "light" for both of you and they are a neutral party who can see outside the emotions.

    I'd highly recommend it!
    Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
    I'm curious-- he says he doesn't care, but what does he actually do? Does he get enough schoolwork done on time to pass or do reasonably well? He's 15-- is he taking care of himself, his looks, his hygeine enough to attract a special someone? Does he get things done when his friends ask him for a favor?

    Attitudes are important, but more important is how he's doing, functionally. I would be far more worried if he's failing his classes, has no friends, and actually does nothing than if despite his "I don't care" attitude, he's functioning reasonably well for a teenager.
    Roy Benaroch, MD replied to momuv4girls's response:
    "I have thought of counseling but not a big fan of it."

    I wonder, perhaps, have you had a bad experience with counseling yourself?

    Talk with your child's physician about local resources for counseling to help find someone who's good at communicating with teens. If you do decide to pursue counseling, you'll need to go into it with a positive attitude and expectations for success-- or you're wasting your time.

    Helpful Tips

    Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
    I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    17 of 26 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

    Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.