Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
DR. ADESMAN PLEASE OFFER SOME ADVICE! EASE MY MIND!
soobleuuu posted:
I am now on all kind of boreds trying to find some advice,answers,suggestions so please responds. thank you ahead of time. Im a full time working parent and usually the weekends are the best time for me to spend time with my kids. This past weekend i noticed my 9 yr old son has this twitch he keeps doing and when i asked him about it he said he feels it and cant really stop doing it. I only noticed it when we were layin in my room looking at pics on the phone he was facing me and kept...idk let me explain it. He consistently scrunches his forehead and it looks like hes trying to look at his eyebrows cuz he keeps looking up when he does it. It looks weird i continued to watch him the rest of the nite and no matter what he was doing he kept making this facial expression every other minute. What could this be? do i let it pass? I want to help my baby if somethings affecting him that could be causing this, the only thing i could think is overstress on his mind(he tends to think alot)causing a TICK. can someone help me please..

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi soobleuu,

Dr Adesman, Altmann and Benaroch visit often and I am sure can help. Ultimately your son will need to see his PCP to examine him. Have his teachers or daycare noticed anything unusual?

momuv4girls responded:
Hi,

I sent you this link on the other board also.

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/tic_disorders

Take care,
-Kathleen

Andrew Adesman, MD responded:
This does indeed sound like a simple motor tic. Often these come and go for no apparent reason. I agree with Lainey that you should bring him to your pediatrician. You will be asked if he has demonstrated any other motor tics or even vocal tics -- such as grunting, snorting, throat-clearing or other involuntary noises. Although most children with motor tics do not progress to have vocal tics, the combination can suggest Tourette Syndrome. Tourette is also seen commonly in kids with ADHD and/or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

IIn general, tics are worst when kids are tired or stressed. Children with tics have little control over them. Medicine is used only when they are severe enough to interfere with functioning. There are therapy techniques to help treat tics as well. Good luck.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Andrew Adesman, MD's response:
My son went through a blinking stage and our PCP just monitored it because he had no other symptoms. My son is 22 now and I rarely see him have any blinking issues now.

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.