Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Do You Tell Your Children, Santa is real?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello parents!

For generations children were brought up to believe in Santa. Will you continue that tradition?

seeit2 responded:
We don't make a big deal of Santa in our home, but once DD started preschool (she's 4) it became too hard to avoid. She does not watch TV (except through Netflix - no ads) so there's no pressure from commercials or for specific toys or anything. We will probably claim a gift or two from Santa and leave a carrot for the reindeer and that will be it. Personally, I really dislike the "be good or else" mentality, so we don't do that at all.

Once she's in school I'm sure all bets will be off, but for now we like keeping it a "from the family" event.

fcl responded:
I have always felt that it's not a bad thing for children to look forward to Santa's visit. My daughters are now 8 and one is struggling hard to believe - she has a lot of friends who know the truth (what a shame for all involved - lol). There is so much maginc attached to Santa and children love that. I just love the way they creep downstairs to discover their presents. Last year they both patiently waited for us to arrive before they opened them - HOW ON EARTH can a child DO that???? We never asked them to wait and I know that when I was their age I could not resist opening everything!

We need a little magic in midwinter, don't we? And Santa supplies that for both children and their parents

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to seeit2's response:
Aw! I love the carrot idea! I agree with you regarding the "be good or else" I never used that idea for my children or grands.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to fcl's response:
I completely agree!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.