Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
My 3 year old son is severely sick and Im about to lose it
melisawoosley posted:
He had a febrile seizure 3 weeks ago and has had chronic symptoms every since. He has so many symptoms that I've had to make a list, so I'll name off the main ones. He sleeps 8-11 hours a day and can take up to 2 or 3 consistent hours trying to wake him. When he is awake sometimes he will play with his sister, but most of the time is very irritable and cranky, he cries about every little thing (including choosing jammies), he is NOT normally like this. He screams like you're killing him in the bath tub, his appetite has decreased a lot and doesn't drink nearly like he used to. He always complains of being cold and hates if clothes are too tight or too loose. He was also potty trained and now is not. Since this he has obtained a diaper rash that comes and goes and gets bad enough to bleed and leave blisters. Just last night he started coughing really bad and keeping a low grade temp (easily treated with tylenol), his eyes were also matted shut and keep oozing yellow fluid. Tonight he's wheezing terribly and crying in his sleep. His cough almost sounds like pneumonia setting in. We have a neurologist appt in February, but I am terrified almost for my son's life. The pediatrician on call at the local hospital told me they would only treat his "flu-like" symptoms and that this is a job for his pediatrician and every time I call they aren't in for some reason or another. PLEASE someone who knows what they are talking about HELP ME!-sorry for typos and hard to follow, I'm distraught

melisawoosley responded:
I just called the pediatrician on call tonight and he talked down to me again like I am losing my mind. I told him about cough that is deep sounding as bad as pneumonia and he just shrugged me off

mrswhitecastle replied to melisawoosley's response:
It sounds like it might be time for a second opinion. I would make an appointment with a new pediatrician, and see if they can help you more.

I hope your son feels better soon.

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
I'm having hard time putting all of this together, but I certainly agree w/ the above posters that an in-person, face-to-face re-evaluation by a physician is necessary.

Sometimes when there is a lot going on it's difficult for both parents AND physicians to concentrate on "the big picture." You may wish to bring a copy of your post, or a hand-written list, of all of the problems spelled out by date-- when did this symptom start? When did it get better or worse? Being organized like that will help you and the physician keep your eyes on the ball.

Best of luck!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.