Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

11 year old male, puberty?
An_222052 posted:
My younger brother is 11 years old, going on 12.
I lived with my mom, her new boy-friend, and my brother for a few months this past year, and was forced to share a bedroom with my bro. I'm 26, so I'm much older (plus I'm female). I had to stay with my mom due to her failing health.
One morning I woke up early and peeked over my covers and noticed my brother masturbating. I quickly diverted my eyes, got back under my blanket, and pretended to sleep. I didn't want to embarrass him.
I thought, initially, that he was too young to be beginning puberty. His masturabatory behavior continued for several mornings, so I brought this up with my mom. She was embarrassed and said that he needs to 'figure it out from his friends'. I asked if she wanted me to inform our father, to see if my brother could have a guy talk with him, but mother refused (my father can be very insensitive and immature about sex topics) and mother's boy-friend is callous.
Would I potentially 'damage' my brother by talking to him about puberty and sexuality? I don't want him to think that he's ill or anything (like I did when I got my first period).
Is there a better way to go about getting him accurate information without embarrassing him?

Indiaguerita responded:
I don't think you will "damage" him, but I do think you will embarass him.

Let him figure it out on his own. Masturbating is completely normal as his age.

But, that's just my opinion. Do what you feel is right!

-Laura

jsave responded:
Is normal for a boy and a years old to be masturbating I have an 11-year-old brother and I am sure the thit is masturbating that is about the age I start it normal for him to need to masturbate at least lest once a week some boys do it more some once a day or more what you need totalk with about him is not about not masturbating in bad but about doing it in the shower or someplace where he can do it alone he did not know you in the room which hem witch is why he was masturbating i think the thing for you to do is to levev a book about puberty on hes bad and not asking hem to please do it in privet if need more please e-mail me

jpm

freebreezmoma responded:
not sure what the problem is...........do you give him tips? it is normal for 11 and 12 yr olds to do this,no need for either one of you to be ashamed( or for your mom to be embarrassed) all boys in the world do this,

lonely14 replied to jsave's response:
I was worried of same thing. I had girls, and never noticed anything.
I have noticed somethings with my grandson.
Has me worried.

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.