Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

New Year's Resolutions and Kids
melbournefreelancer posted:
Two out of three articles I've been reading about New Year's resolution appear to have given up on the concept mostly due to fear of failure. But I believe they are a real fun and impressive means to get kids started on the road to goal setting . Their childish enthusiasm for sticking to their goals for as long as possible might even enthuse adults with their waning appreciation for the small wonders of life to give it a go.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
I posted a New Year's resolution poll yesterday! I agree with setting goals but it might be asking too much for a child to set a goal that will last a year?

melbournefreelancer replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
That really would be too much to ask of a kid, but it's been said that if you can stick to your resolution for 66 days it becomes a habit. So, if not chewing nails can be managed for 66 days it, hopefully, ceases to be. The bonus here is when you ask your child not to do so, it's no longer nagging but a New Year resolution which I'm thinking elevates the entire process to a whole new level.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.