Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Is your Home Baby-Proofed?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello Community,

The National Safe Kids Campaign says falls are the leading cause of unintentional injury for children. More than 2.5 million kids 14 and under are treated in emergency rooms nationwide every year!

WebMD has a Baby-Proofing Guide with some suggestions when you are considering childproofing your home, and a video to help you with Window Safety .

Have you baby-proofed your home?

Please share your advice on childproofing.

seeit2 responded:
I've baby-proofed my home to keep my 1 - yr old safe...if anyone has any ideas about baby-proofing the 4 yr old to help keep my 1-yr old safe, I'd love to hear them.

phoenix31674 replied to seeit2's response:
LOL I like that. Right now we aren't baby proofed because LO isn't mobile and DD is closing in on 4 and has more or less learned what not to touch. Sadly, we have a huge stone ledge around a built in bookcase and fireplace that we won't really be able to do anything about when DS gets moving. The idea of taping foam all over it doesn't seem feasible, so we'll just have to watch him.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to seeit2's response:
Aww, I bet they keep you running mommy!

fiannakyn replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
I had my sister come over to help baby proof my house last week. (in preperation of a homestudy for foster care and adoption) She has 3 kids and plenty of experience. She pointed out things I would NEVER have thought about.

(I won't even tell you where I was keeping my sharp knifes... lets just say even an crawling infant could have gotten ahold of them, now they're much higher.)

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to fiannakyn's response:
Hi Fiannakyn,

I am so excited for you! When you don't have a little one running around it doesn't dawn on you the potential dangers. I am glad you did get the home baby proofed. Keep us updated about the foster care!

Helpful Tips

Not as easy as some make it out by simply being the boss.
Feeding therapy ideas and resources ... The phrase " oral aversion " describes the avoidance or fear of eating, drinking, or accepting ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.