Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Help?! My 17 year old son's feet and hands turn bright red!!
smarcus59715 posted:
For about a year 1/2 now, my 17 year old son's feet and hands will often turn bright red for no reason. He says there is no pain and he didn't even notice it until we said something. At that time he started paying attention to it and we have found that it happens regularly. His hands also often feel very cold as if he walked through a blizzard with nothing on his hands even though he is in the house. Last year, my husband took him to the doctor only to be told he is just growing too fast. He is not growing any faster than the average teenager. Any ideas? Or what should we do?? Please help. thanks!!!

Indiaguerita responded:
Has he been checked for Diabetes? When I was diagnosed with Diabetes, my hands and feet were freezing all the time.

I would get a second opinion and request that do some blood work. Or at the very least, a general physical.

Hopefully one of the doctors on WebMD will have some medical input on this.

Good luck,

Laura

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
This sounds like a kind of flushing, sort of what happens to some people when they're embarrassed. The circulation at the surface of his skin is either becoming too rich (that's the red times) or too "weak" (that's the cool times.)

As long as this doesn't bother him, and it sounds like it doesn't, there is nothing you need to do about it. There's no pain, there's no tissue damage. The important part of his circulation to his bones and muscles is obviously normal, or he would have pain and disability. This has been going on for 18 months and doesn't sound like it's developing into any kind of genuine health problem.

For adults with diabetes, one of the many manifestations can be poor circulation in the extremities and damage to the nerves furthest away from the brain. This wouldn't happen (yet) in a 17 year old, and in any case a simple general exam should be able to confirm he doesn't have this. A quick urinalysis can provide extra reassurance. No extensive testing is needed.

smarcus59715 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
Thank you both for the replies, I really appreciate your advice and thoughts. I am going to monitor my son and take him in for an overall physical just to see. Thanks again, I will let you know what they say.

matanat responded:
Hi. Exact same things is happening to my son and he is 16. After few blood checks and test he has been diagnosed with secondary raynauds. It's not bothering him but I'm very worried about it. I see your post is 3 years old and I'm just wondering how is your son now. Any change on your sons condition? I hope all this will go away

Helpful Tips

Predicting adult height !Expert
There are a couple of ways to predict adult height for toddlers. The simplest way is to double the child's height at age 2. Another ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 55 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.