Potty Training Advice?
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello parents,

I hate diapers with a passion, the mess on my little ones and cost really bothered me! Potty training was a welcomed milestone in our home. WebMD has a useful article for Toilet Training.

My first daughter was so tough to train but with experience it became very simple for my younger children. The key was keep the training on a scheduled. Every 2 hours, we sang the potty song and danced to the bathroom. I know, I looked like a nut but it did work.

Was potty training difficult for your little one?

Any tips for potty training that you would like to share?

phoenix31674 responded:
Very difficult. She was almost 3.5 when she finally got peeing on the potty. I tried bribery, pretty panties and nothing was working. I even tried rolling up the carpets and having her go diaper free to no avail. The 'big girls use the potty' was of limited use. I did a second round of roll up the carpets after DH got back from his 3 month deployment to Afghanistan and she finally started using the potty.

Now here we are 5 months later and nothing is working on pooping. I let her read books, sit with her, offered her the use of the ipod if she poops on the potty, tried to bribe her with chocolate or new toys and nothing is working. The kid won't poop on the potty. She poops when she goes upstairs for nap and bed. I have had her sit on the potty for 30 minutes before going to bed and she still won't poop on the pot. She did once, but then still pooped upstairs. I would put the potty in her room, but it's upstairs and I'm afraid she would try to carry it down and make a mess. Plus the one time I did, she still pooped her pants, but then tried to take them off and got poop all over her fingers and thankfully decided to leave them on. She will come downstairs and tell me she has pooped and I need to change her diaper, but just won't poop in the potty.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to phoenix31674's response:
Hi Phoenix,

Do you think that your daughter is afraid to have a bowel movement?

phoenix31674 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
I haven't the foggiest idea. She sounds excited about pooping in the potty and really enjoyed the big deal we made about her one poop in the potty, but no repeat performance. She was very excited about having pooped in the potty, so i had hope. Oh, well, we'll get there someday.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to phoenix31674's response:
Yes, and this will be one of the milestones you will remember. :)

davecavaliere1 responded:
Hello there.This may be a bit off topic but toileting issues affect many kids and families. We have a 4 year old son with autism and a 3 year old with ADHD. Both boys are not potty trained. They both have a tendency to disrobe and worse yet they get into their diapers and play in it! We invented an escape proof sleeper that zips in the back and keeps them out of their diaper. We started a company called Ikids fashion. We make clothing for special needs autistic children. www.ikidsfashion.com Thanks a lot!

seeit2 responded:
With my DD, we had an easy time with peeing because we just followed her lead. We were in no hurry and I think the lack of pressure actually made it a smooth transition for her. She continued to insist on pooping in a diaper well into her 3s, though, and we realized it was a control thing for her. So we let it go for awhile and then, when we figured she was beyond ready, we took out a calendar and let her pick a day to be all done with diapers. She picked the farthest date she could find of course but then at the end of every day we would cross off the day on the calendar and count how many were left before diapers were done. When that day finally came, she sat on the pot and never looked back. We never use rewards in our home so our attitude was more like, "yup, of course you use the potty" and that was the end of it (finally!)

Of course, my DS was born four months later so we had only a little break - but it was nice while it lasted!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
At what age do you feel a child should begin potty training?

Wendy12345678 responded:
My second child potty trained himself, couldn't have been easier! He just watched his older brother and copied him. When he was almost 2 and a half I passed by the bathroom to see him peeing ON the tiolet. LOL standing right in front aiming at the toilet, but of course not making it inside. All we really had to do was run out and by a stool for him to stand on, and a potty seat so he could sit on the potty and not fall in! Other than a few technical suggestions that was it for him. The oldest was another story, he was 3, and a pain. He would be potty trained for a couple of days then stop. With him I had to bow out, and my husband did it all, thats what finally worked (LOL and my husband is his step dad and we where just dating then! I knew I had to marry him after potty training my son!) I guess my only good tip, is send boys in to the bathroom with dads and brothers. I don't have girls so no ideas there!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to Wendy12345678's response:
My first child was impossible to train but the next two were easy. :)