Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
toddler (13mo) upward (to the right) eye rolling
An_222078 posted:
My 13 mo old started occasionally rolling his eye up and to the right about a week after his 1yr check up the beginning of Jan. he is perfectly healthy and happy meeting all milestones, but anywhere from 3-5 times a day he'll roll his eyes up and to the right. I don't know if this is a normal occurance or if i should take him to his Dr. or a nurologist. This is my first child and it freaks me out when he does it, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. Am i justified in my concerns or am i being the typical first time mother?

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
Please don't put yourself down by calling yourself a "first time mother"-- whether first time or tenth time, you're allowed to have questions and worries about your children, and I don't want you to feel that your questions are less likely to be valid because you might be less experienced than others. You know your child well, and if this is something new that is bothering you, it's always justified to ask questions.

I'm not certain what's going on, but I would say this deserves a trip to the pediatrician for a discussion and an exam. If possible, catch him doing this on a video on your phone. You'll want to be able to describe this as best as possible.

These are the kinds of questions I'd ask, in addition to getting a feel for his overall health and development: During what situations is he doing this? How long does it last? Can you "distract" him away from it? Does it seem like he's conscious and interactive during the event, or is he kind of "out of it"? Think about those questions prior to your visit so you can give the doctor the information needed.

Best of luck to you!

EmilyB1280 responded:
Did you find out anything? My 14 month old just started this a few days ago and it is freaking me out as well.

stephaniealthoff replied to EmilyB1280's response:
he will still do it every once and a while but the dr. said that when we play adults tend to roll our eyes dramatically and thats where they pick it up. as long as they dont shake llike sizure like then they are probably fine. he does it now when he is palying. hope thiks helps.

mrsclb33 replied to stephaniealthoff's response:
Thank you ladies for this discussion & thnak you Dr. Benaroch for your very respectful response. I'm not a new mom, I have 2 older very healthy kids, but number 3 is far apart from the 1st 2 and is developing so differently. He meets milestones & pediatrician is happy with him. But I've had only very mild concerns when he did exactly what you described in your children. He's 18 months & doesn't have a lot of words but babbles constantly and can follow simple instructions. So I've been really laid back about him...more like a grandma almost than the younger uptight mildstone marking mommy I was in my 20s. That's until the freaky eye thing! So thank you all for puttin my fears to rest. His 1st time to do it was at the doc's office at 18 months. And like you all said - it is up to the right, very briefly & easily deterred w/ interaction. Still as an RN I was alerted to possible neuro problem, as I have only ever seen this in mentally handicapped kids. So I will continue to monitor but not worry. He's happy, active and so smart w/ music and balls - maybe a future pitcher & catcher! So advanced in ways I would never have appreciated in my 1st two. Thanks again so much!
mrsclb33

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.