Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Just realized we may be "real" parents by the end of the year!
fiannakyn posted:
My husband and I are starting foster to adopt training in 32 days! Estimated time to get licenced is mid August with a possable permanent placement by Christmas! I'm scared to try talking on the other age forums cause right now we are classified for 0-4 years old, and we wont know what age or gender (or race but that doesnt matter) till the call. we're hopeing for infant, but are not holding our breaths. We're also open for siblings so who knows!

I am saving notes from the threads I read here for future refrence

as soon as the weather stabilizes so I can open the windows, I'm painting the nursery room and start gathering things. Anyone have any prefrences in car seats that handle wide ranges of sizes? We also plan on getting a toddler bed, and a few other 1-4 age range items. I am avoiding getting infant only things (crib, swing, etc) incase we dont get an infant. even if we do, I can run to BRU and get the things easily (of course I have a wish list )

I just wanted to share cause I am soooo excited. After over 10 years of infertility, my dream of being a mommy is soon to happen!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Fiannakyn, I am so excited for you! Sounds like you are planning ahead too! We are here with fingers crossed for your very loving endeavor!

Please keep us updated!

sarahann1978 responded:
Congrats, that is so awesome! On the car seat I would recommend a convertible, that way if you happen to get a younger child you can put it rear facing, or an older child front facing. We have an Evenflo Triumph and a Graco My Ride 65. Of the two I personally like the Graco better, but both are just fine.

On the painting I would just like to recommend that you go with no or low VOC paint. It's more expensive, but so much better for your environment and the child if you can afford it.

fiannakyn replied to sarahann1978's response:
Thank you Sarahann! I will have to check out the car seats you mentioned- and I already planned on the low VOC paint, my husband is severely allergic to airborn chemicals (which is funny sense he's a chemist) so its either low VOC or he stays at his mom's for a week while I paint

Emmyl responded:
That is so great! And you sound so excited! Some child is going to be very very blessed soon! I hope everything works out easily for you. Keep us updated!

Emmy

phoenix31674 responded:
That's great news.

In addition to the convertible car seat, i would look into a 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 crib. We have one for DD, though honestly the 'daybed' option is just taking the rails off. i didn't even use the toddler rails with her since the bed is so low to the ground and she was using them as steps to climb on the sides of the crib. I bought one because I'm cheap and couldn't really see shelling out several hundred on a crib and then having to shell out more money for a toddler bed that's only used for a couple of years at most.

DD started climbing out of the crib around 2.5 and now at not quite 4 she's almost too long for it. Toddler beds are the same length as cribs and use the same mattresses. I got one that is designed for babies one side up and toddlers the other, though DD somehow managed to pull some of the cording off the one side of the mattress. i need to see if i can fix that before flipping it back over when we move DS to the crib and her into a twin bed. Granted she is very tall, but if you do get an older kid, the toddler bed might not last long. and the 3 in 1s also convert to a full size bed - you just have to buy the bed rails.

Just thoughts on the bed to provide maximum flexibility.

Best of luck to you.

sdadkin responded:
I just wanted to share with you my story about my best friend. Her and her husband have been suffering with infertility also for years. They finished the fostering program last fall and they just got their first placement- newborn triplets!!! They will most likely get to adopt them since the parents of the triplets have given up a total of 4 children for adoption already and the babies were born with cocaine in their systems!

After my friends finished their fostering classes, they had sort of like a baby shower type thing. They invited all of their friends and family over and people brought gifts or gently used clothes and things. They got a crib, bouncy seat, car seat, lots of clothes, bottles, and more! Maybe you guys could do the same kind of thing? Babies are so expensive and people love to help you out!

fiannakyn replied to sdadkin's response:
oh tell your friend congrats from me!! One of my other online forum friends got her first placement days after licenceing of twin 6 month old boys. They are finializing the adoption next week!

I like the idea of a pre placement shower! The only things I will insist on getting new is the mattress and car seat, for health/saftey reasons. But everything else can be used.
I was going to have a post placement shower for sure, a "meet the baby" type. Especialy if it's an infant.

xtina04 replied to fiannakyn's response:
I have followed you on some of the other boards, and I love what you are doing. Its people like you that give children a second chance at life, when all hope was lost. You have the ability change and mold them before they realize that a blessing has happened for the better.

I wanted to let you and I will keep you in my prayers that God gives you the children you so deserve. I will keep reading and watching for any news.

fiannakyn replied to xtina04's response:
thank you xtina!

Everyone is welcome to follow my blog at http://wiggsadoption.blogspot.com too!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.