Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
What to buy new for second baby?
ButterflyBaby1107 posted:
I just found out that I am pregnant with our second child. I am wondering what needs to be replaced or boughten for this child. Can I reuse the bottles that I had with my first child who is now 3--or should I just throw them all away and buy new? I also read something about the breastpump--but it seems silly to buy a whole new breatpump, they are so expensive-Can I just get new valves and tubes for the pump? What else will I need for a second child? I know there were a few things that I did not get when we had our first that I wished I would have bought, so I might pick up a few of those things--one was the boopy pillow. And I think I deserve a nice new glider rocker chair!

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
You do deserve a new glider, and get one of those rocking ottoman things to match. Very nice for nursing!

As for the other stuff, honestly Junior won't know or care. Reuse anything you can, and save the money for college or a vacation or something for yourself. You'll still spend plenty-- you don't need to look for ways to spend more!

kmcarnag responded:
I agree with the doc re the glider. I bought a new glider/foot stool for my DD's room--a set that is exactly like the one in my 2 year old DS's room. I still use the one in his room and didn't want to interrupt the kids to rock the other one. We are re-using almost everything--bottles and breast pump included. Just buy new tubes (or if it is Medela brand, call them and they will send you new ones for free). Make sure it is all sterilized and you'll be good to go. Really, all we're buying new (or used) is clothes. Congratulations!

ButterflyBaby1107 replied to kmcarnag's response:
I am the most concerned with the bottles. I read that they should be replaced because the plastic breaks down, and the nipples should probably be replaced. Thanks for the tip on the Medela, I will have to call them and see if I can get some new tubes-if they give them out free that would be great-if not I can get them at the medical supply at our hospital.

sdadkin responded:
Once the bottles or nipples start to discolor then you are supposed to throw them out. We used the Playtex ones that take the liners with my first DS. By the time he was one most of them had started to turn a little yellow so we threw them all away. I am due with our second son in about 9 weeks and we just went out and bought a bunch more of the same kind of bottles.

I didn't know about Medela either. I am going to call them or send them an email too. That would save us at least $25 if they can send the replacement parts!

sarahann1978 replied to ButterflyBaby1107's response:
If the old bottles have BPA you might want to consider replacing them. I think a lot of bottles sold now are BPA free, but I am not sure about 3 years ago. Here is what wikipedia says about identifying BPA:

"In general, plastics that are marked with recycle codes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are very unlikely to contain BPA. Some, but not all, plastics that are marked with recycle codes 3 or 7 may be made with BPA."

I would check the bottom of the bottle and get rid of any that are 3 or 7.

ButterflyBaby1107 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I used avent bottles before. I liked them because they were easy to clean with the wide mouths and all the avent products are interchangable. They have a sippy cup with handles, I would put the handles on the bottle when the baby started trying to hold her own bottle. I also had the adapter for my breastpump to pump directly into the bottles. I will check the bottles, any that are scratched up I will throw out. I will buy new nipples for some. I shouldn't need as many bottles for this baby since I am a stay at home mom now. I needed more with the first baby because I was trying to work and she needed bottles for daycare.

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.