Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Difficult 6 Year Old Girl
SheetsS posted:
My daughter is going thru a difficult time and my husband I are having a hard time dealing with it. We have run out of ideas. She just turned 6 last month. She wets the bed nearly every night. We limit her fluids after 6 pm and we also get up every night and take her to the bathroom at about 2 am. She does well most nights, but anytime we forget to get her up, she is wet and doesn't even try to get up on her own. Recently, she has been showing a lot of other behavior issues. She scratched herself on purpose when she was in timeout last week. She is very sneaky at school and at home...doing things she knows are wrong and getting into things she knows she shouldn't. She has been caught in others lockers and taking things at school. She gets in trouble daily at school. Today she came home from school with her pants ripped on purpose. When I ask her what happen, she says she doesn't know. She laughs when I put her in timeout and sometimes laughs when the teacher is dealing with he behavior as well. My initial thought is that she is seeking more attention, but not quite sure if that is the only thing. We have a very close family. She has an older brother and my husband and I have a good marriage. We eat together everynight and focus on homework and books every night. I would appreciate help. I love her more than anything and it seems she is struggling. I don't know how to make her understand that I am here for here always.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi SheetsS,

Children will act out at times for many reasons. Have you considered talking with a therapist or school counselor? Bed wetting can be a sign of a medical condition, please talk with her doctor. WebMD has a video about bed-wetting treatments that might help you.

I think your daughter knows you will always be there for her.
A two-year-old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it. Jerry Seinfeld

momuv4girls responded:
Hi Mom,

I would highly suggest you find a really good/qualified child psychologist to meet with your daughter.

I know how difficult it is to have a child that struggles, it is a helpless feeling and heartbreaking to watch.

Do some homework, talk to professionals and locate a child psychologist - - it can make all the difference.

((((Big Hugs))))
-Kathleen

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.