Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
little boys
evsma posted:
My son is 5 years and for the past couple of months has been complaining that his 'pee-pee' hurts. Most of the time he is erect. We have seen his pediatrician and they did not feel there was cause for concern. These episodes are increasing and warm or cold cloths do not seem to relieve the pain. Has anyone had experience with this and do you have any suggetions?
Boyzmomee responded:
Is he masturbating? My five year old, at the time, was really going at it.

Boys have erections all the time. Does your son know this is a natural function of his body?
Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
This isn't such an uncommon complaint, and sometimes we never figure out what the problem is. Assuming that nothing looks wrong-- nothing is red or swollen-- the most common explanation I've found is that some kids hold their urine too long, and then end up with bladder spasms and pain.

Another potential explanation in this case, since the pain is with erections, is if there is some tightness of the skin or something that becomes uncomfortable. Does his erection look normal and straight and a little upwards?
freebreezmoma responded:
HELLO,I AM LINDA FROM DENMARK,MY MAIDEN NAME IS ERICKSON...we were all raised to accept the body as natural,and my boys are being breastfed ,and never forced to wear cloths in the home....erections are natural and normal.any questions or communication ,send me a note.have a great day.
freebreezmoma responded:
  1. well,i have 4 little boys,and as we have a secluded place in the mts,they run naked all the time and have many erections.guite natural...just find a logical way to sooth them,perhaps unconventional,but what ever works!

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.