Skip to content

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

How is Nighttime Potty Training Going?
Laura Jana, MD posted:
When it comes to being potty trained at night, there's more than enough advice to go around.

Remedies range from no liquids after dinner time, making an extra trip or two to the potty before bedtime (or even a couple of hours after going to bed), using a bedwetting alarm, making your child participate in cleaning any nighttime wetting, and, in some cases, medication.

If you wonder why a child who is daytime potty trained seems unable to accomplish the same feat at night, then this post is for you.

Keep in mind that nighttime wetting -- also known as nocturnal enuresis -- is different from daytime potty skills. Children who are able to stay dry and use the potty during the day are more likely to eventually conquer the issue of nighttime wetting. But a child won't always master the two skills at the same time.

While a majority of children daytime potty train by age 3, nearly half of those children still wet the bed at night. Even at age five, one in five kids still wet the bed. As children get older, the numbers improve as they gradually master this eagerly anticipated, but sometimes elusive skill. By age 12, only 3% still wet the bed.

So when do you start to worry? That's a good question to ask your pediatrician.

What we know about children who are not staying dry at night (called primary nocturnal enuresis) is that it is rarely related to an underlying health problem. Your pediatrician can check for problems with the kidneys, the bladder, diabetes, or other medical issues.

We also know that there's a genetic tendency to wet the bed. In addition to your own childhood history, take a closer look at your child's family tree. I didn't have to search too far back in my family to find that several family members "suffered in silence" as children. For anyone whose child persistently wets the bed well beyond 3, 4 or 5 years old, chances are good that someone else in your family was a "bed-wetter" too.

No matter what is in your family history, you still have to face the issue of keeping your child's mattress dry, so what can you do? Sorry to say, but getting your child's bladder to mature is simply a matter of time.

The best approach is to limit drinks at bedtime, keep the mattress cover on your child's bed, and do your best to keep your child from feeling shame or embarrassment.

You and your child may decide that nighttime bedwetting alarms and medications are worthwhile temporary solutions despite the cost, sleep disturbance, and/or side effects. However, when your child is old enough to have sleepovers with friends, these remedies can be helpful.

How did you help your child overcome bedwetting? Was bedwetting quick and easy to resolve, or did you end up doing far more than your fair share of extra laundry? Share your experiences and suggestions with the community.

motherofthefuturepresident responded:
Not great! My 5 year old, fantastic, been dry for quite some time.
My 7 and 9 year olds, wet most nights. I have tried the vibrating underwear, not drinking, waking them at certain intervals.

HELP!

Helpful Tips

Parenting and health tweets from Dr RoyExpert
Hello everyone-- I've been a volunteer contributor here on this board for a few years now, and hopefully my posts have been helpful. I've ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.