Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
Suggestions needed for sleep training a noncrying 6 month old!!
Emmyl posted:
My DD is almost 6 months old. We are really having a hard time with her at night. She doesn't cry at all she just plays! I really need to try some sort of sleep training for her, but I just don't know where to even start. She falls asleep fine, usually while feeding her. But about two hours later she starts moving around in her crib, rolling over and back and whatnot. I've tried to just leave her in the hopes that she is just moving around in her sleep (and she really usually is at this point), but she ends up waking herself up completely instead. If I get her up and put her on my belly she will fall back asleep fine, but then as soon as I try to put her back down, she starts scooting around again. It takes up to an hour to get her to lay back down. Then an hour or so later, she does it again. This time I feed her, and again it takes up to an hour to her to go back down. I really want to just leave her alone when she starts up the first time, hoping hoping hoping that she will put herself back to sleep, but she doesn't. This happens about three times a night at least. There are many mornings, like this morning, where if I'm not really really careful, she will wake up completely and party party party for an hour or more. Throughout this whole thing she never cries. She's just so happy and alert! lol If I weren't so darn tired it would be really cute. <sigh> Any suggestions? She's in our room right now, I'm wondering if we go ahead and put her in her own room if it will help some. The only problem with that is we have a toddler in the room across from where her room will be. Please please please! Offer some suggestions!!

eliguns841984 responded:
Not everyone will agree with me, but I would put her in her own room and let her be. I say in her own room only because I'm assuming she can see you in the room with her when she wakes, and may not get the point that it's bedtime. ALSO, if you're in the same room and she's looking cute when she plays, you may be more tempted to interact with her ;) My boys went through a brief period of doing this right around 5-6 months old too. I just kept one ear open and the monitor turned up, but did not go into the bedroom to get them. If she is alone and the lights are out (except maybe a night light or whatever) she will get the idea that it is not playtime eventually. Obviously, it is not hurting her to be awake and entertaining herself for a bit, so there is no need for you to go in and get her out of bed just because she's awake. Actually, if she's learning to play on her own in there, that's a good skill in itself...even though you would rather she learn to sleep first! It's a learning process, and she has to start to understand that bedtime is for sleeping and playtime is another thing. I bet it would only take a few days of just letting her be and she will start cutting down the time she spends playing and eventually stop waking altogether.

Emmyl replied to eliguns841984's response:
I bet it would only take a few days of just letting her be and she will start cutting down the time she spends playing and eventually stop waking altogether

That's the most reassuring thing I've heard all day!! Thank you so much. I just ordered a baby monitor from Amazon this morning. Hopefully it will get here soon. I guess it's just hard to know that they are awake and playing, and I'm not there with them, even if it is 3:00 in the morning and I'm dead tired! I've just got to make myself leave her alone. Plus, with my 22 month old in the next room, I'm always afraid he's going to wake up, and once he's awake, we're all awake!

eliguns841984 replied to Emmyl's response:
Good luck! keep us posted :)

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to eliguns841984's response:
I agree w/ eliguns, move her out and let her be. Her playing isn't going to wake up a 22 m/o-- actually, even she cries it probably won't wake up a sibling.

seeit2 responded:
You might also take a look at how much sleep she is getting during the day - if it seems like a lot then cut it back so maybe she'll sleep better at night. Or, look at how long she is in the crib at night - is it too long a stretch? You could shorten that time by 15 minutes at a time until she learns to keep on sleeping instead of playing when she wakes.

Deb

Emmyl responded:
Thanks everybody! It was another sleepless night. Both kids woke up. lol I really think our kids are trying to kill us! Our mantra these days are, if we can just make it through the next five years... I've decided it's my fault though. I prayed when the baby was really little for some angels to entertain her for just a little while so I could get some rest, lol. They haven't stopped yet! In all honesty, i'd rather that be the case than her be upset at night. I tried to leave her alone last night (well, early this morning really), when she started doing the rolling around bit and whatnot. Actually I slept through it. By the time I woke up, she was doing her usual party stuff. Towards the end she usually starts getting fussy and I have to get her up and rock her a bit anyway. By that time I had to get up for work. Oh well...this too shall pass! I ordered a baby monitor yesterday, hopefully it will come soon and we can move her into her own room.

try to stick it out! That was night ONE. Was she still in your room? If so, she may have been fussy because she could see you and wanted you to pick her up. I believe that a lot of the time, parents struggle with getting their babies/kids in healthy sleep habits because they don't stick it out for the initial, difficult period.

Emmyl replied to eliguns841984's response:
Success! Sort of!... Instead of having to hold her for an hour last night, I held her butt down (literally, lol) and patted her back until she relaxed and went back to sleep. The she slept until 1:00 instead of 12:00! After that I put her back down immediately, instead of holding her for another hour to get her back to sleep, and again, held her butt down until she relaxed. She didn't go back to sleep immediately that time, but she did play for about 10 or 15 minutes and then (and this is what excites me most!), she fell asleep on her own!! I didn't have to feed her again or rock her or anything! And THEN she slept until I woke her up at 6:45 to feed her and get her ready for daycare. This is the first time since she was born that she has slept in the same place all night! I'm going to be strong and continue this routine until she is sleeping through the night! I feel like a real mother again!! :) Thanks for all of your advise and support! I will keep you updated!

yay!!!! Keep going mama, you're doing the right thing and your baby does not have to feel neglected because you are right there with her when she needs you. I have always said that the worst thing you can do when sleep training is hold them to sleep! I'm glad it's working for you, and I would again be willing to bet this will not take long and she will be sleeping well very soon.

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.