Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Blankies and Binkies: Is there a difference?
Tanya Altmann, MD, FAAP posted:
My first son was a blanky baby. I ran all over town looking for his little, blue, satin, discontinued blanket. I can't even remember who gave us the first one, but he loved it, and it went everywhere with us. We even turned around after driving 30 miles on a trip to grandma's house because I forgot to pack it. Although shredded and faded, "Blanky" stayed with him for years.

A comfort item or transitional object, also known as a "lovey" is a good idea to help a baby self-soothe and transition from needing Mommy and Daddy 24/7. A little blanky or a small stuffed animal can be introduced to your child when they're around 6 to 8 months old. It can be kept as long as your child desires, although it usually remains at home after a child turns 2 or 3 years old.

My second son was a pacifier (aka "binky" or "paci") baby. He was fussy, and like many babies, he soothed himself by sucking. This was also the year that the American Academy of Pediatrics suggested offering a pacifier to infants when they are placed down for naps or sleep to decrease the risk of SIDS. We let him suck and soothe, and suck and sleep, and life was good.

When he became a toddler, we had to decide when to pull the plug. His dad wasn't quite on board, so one weekend, when he was out of town, I tossed the pacifier. It went much better than I would have thought. My toddler cried and fussed for a bit, but I held strong, and he was pacifier-free by the time my husband returned home.

A pacifier is not meant to be a transitional object. Unfortunately, many toddlers quickly become accustomed to the pacifier, which may increase the frequency of ear infections and other illness (they put everything in their mouth) and abnormalities to your baby's teeth. If possible, begin weaning at 1 year old, and replace the pacifier with another lovey.

What type of blanky, pacifier or other type of lovey does your child like? Share your blanky, pacifier or other lovey experiences with parents in the community.

An_222140 responded:
I definitely have a blankie kid - although he did have a pacifier from birth to age one but wasn't overly attached so that went easily. His blanket is a different story. So much so that when my mother washed it after a sleepover at her house with red sheets, turning his green blanket a bright pink, I rushed right out to the store to get a new one after two nights of 'Not this blankie!' arguments with him as I tried to cover him with an alternative one.

He keeps it at home in his bed for the most part (he's 2 1/2). I was a blanket kid myself and actually kept it until I was 25 and married and my new dog shredded it! So I'm fine with him keeping it as long as he wants....

sliverfroggy responded:
Maybe you can give me some advise. My 28 month old is all about her paci. Dh and I want to get her off it but having a set back due to my 5 month old daughter (her sister). Milla the 28 month old asks for the paci a lot threw out the day. Nap time, when she gets upset, sees sister with one. I don't know how to get her off it with her sister still on one. I wish I cold give her something else but she already has a blanket and a stuff animal that go everywhere with her. Looking forward to your input. Thank you

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.