Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Includes Expert Content
9 year-old girl with bladder control issues
amie02086 posted:
My step-daughter constantly has to go to the bathroom, she can barely hold it for 45 minutes. Sometimes not even that. She has had accidents. She gets up 2-3 times a night to go. Recently, i heard her going and it's like a splash of urine and that's it. Even if she hardly has to go, she barely makes it to the bathroom. she never wets her bed, but she has had accidents during the day when she has tried to hold it. She is 9 about 90 lbs and has been tested multiple times for bladder infections and such, always negative. this seems abnormal to me, my husband and her mom think it is a behavioral thing, but it doesn't seem like that to me. advice? should this be something I should be concerned about? she tries to go, but it she can go 2 or 3 times an hour and each time it's like she barely makes it to the bathroom. she's not drinking excessive fluids...i don't know what to think.

momuv4girls responded:
I have a few thoughts. My oldest daughter started doing this at age 5. I took her in to see a urologist and they preformed an ultrasound to make sure everything looked ok.

She used to leave the classroom several times a day and it did disrupt her school time for a bit. I talked to her teacher and we worked out a plan.

To this day (she is 23), she has anxiety over going potty. She used to do as you describe above (when she was younger), but now she will go to the bathroom before we leave the house, even if she just went. For my daughter it is anxiety driven, but I did have an ultrasound and complete physical to rule out anything medical.

Once you rule out a medical cause, and if the behavior gets worse, then a visit to a child psychologist maybe helpful for her.

Take care,
-Kathleen

Roy Benaroch, MD responded:
This subject seems to come up on these boards frequently. Here are some threads that cover this and similar topics, I hope this helps:

http://exchanges.webmd.com/parenting-exchange/search?query=dysfunctional voiding&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

amie02086 replied to Roy Benaroch, MD's response:
thanks, those helped a lot and make sense. She has a history of holding it so she can finish something, like a game or tv show or a meal. which why sometimes she doesn't make it. but now she is making it most of the time, but she's going every 30 minutes, and 3 times a night. i think i will show those articles to my husband and bring it up at the Dr. we still want to get her checked for diabetes, just on the off-chance and even though we don't think she has it. it is too simple a test to regret not doing it later. thank you again

Roy Benaroch, MD replied to amie02086's response:
Definitely, these symptoms require a trip to doc for quick urinalysis to rule out diabetes and infection. It's a quick, cheap, painless test, I agree.

Helpful Tips

"Napux, the Cow" - Improving Healthy Habits trough Community TV in Mexico
Mexico has become the fattest country in the world, but at the same time here in the state of Chiapas there are children starving. The ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.