Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Too Strict? -- Or Not Strict Enough?
Tanya Altmann, MD, FAAP posted:
Moms and Dads often worry that if they are too strict, their children won't like them. The other end of the dilemma is that if parents aren't strict enough, their children may get into trouble.

How do you decide rules and boundaries? Is there a middle ground?

Children need to learn that there are consequences, what is right and wrong, to respect others, and the importance of working hard to achieve their goals. We want our children to feel safe and secure, and to encourage them to be the best they can be. To achieve these goals for our children, parents make boundaries, enforce consistent rules and apply consequences.

I've never met a parent who didn't want the best for their child. But keep in mind that we must try not to overdo it. If you're too strict, you run the risk that your child may resent your rules and completely rebel. On the other hand, parents who don't make rules, bend the rules, or attempt to be their child's best friend, are not creating appropriate boundaries.

Consider involving your child in the rulemaking process. Spell out clear and reasonable guidelines. If your child comes home with an unacceptable grade, try to resist the temptation to immediately ground him for a month. First, discuss the exam and what he thought about his grade, and what he thinks would help him improve.

Limiting a child's afterschool activities and television or computer screen time may be a solution, but a new approach to studying may also help the issue. What's important is that you discuss it together and come up with a plan that will help you both achieve your long term goals.

The most important thing to remember? Tell your child every day that you love them -- even when you ground them!

Do you think your rules and boundaries for your child are too strict, not strict enough, or just right? Share your feelings about this common dilemma faced by parents with others in the community.

Momof2QtBoys responded:
I have been told I am too nice to my kids, but I dont' think that I am. I discipline them when they need it. I have had strangers come up to me in public places and tell me how well behaved my boys are and how they actually have manners. So, when I hear comments like that I think I am doing a pretty ok job. In the end it is my job to raise to independent men who respect themselves and enjoy life.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.