Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

4 year old behavier
jbbaby82 posted:
I have a 4 year old little girl who no matter what wants to play and drink out of the toilet. She has a cup that stays in the kitchen for her to drink good clean water from the frig. I have tried time out, taken toys, taken tv away, and locked the bathroom door so she has to ask to use the bathroom. I am out of things to do to keep her from drinking out the toilet. Can anyone one help????

BehaviorBandAid responded:
I think you are on the right path with the prevention by locking the bathroom doors. It might be a pain right now, but preventing it from happening for a while sounds right while you figure out the why she is doing it question.

seeit2 responded:
Sounds like she gets a lot of attention out of it. Do you think if you ignored it, and let her do it for a few days, it would lose it's rebel edge and she would stop?

seeit2 responded:
She may also be enjoying the sensory input from playing in water. Does she love bath time too? You could try replacing the toilet with a bin of water that she is allowed to play in, maybe outside on the lawn or on the bathroom floor. Or look on Craigslist for a water table if you don't have one and she could play in that. Then when she starts playing in the toilet just point her to the place that is appropriate for her to play in (and even drink from) instead.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.