Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

my 5 year
Vic9310 posted:
My 5 year old i going to be going into kindergarten this year but he is urine potty trainded, but not pooping. He just seems to be more comfortable doing it in his pants, how do i break him of that. He is strating to even have accidents in public especially when we are at the playground. I dont want the other kids to make fun of him that would really crush him. what should i do

kmcarnag responded:
I'm not sure, but if he is not turning 6 soon I would keep him out of school for another year. Kids usually aren't even allowed in preschool without full potty training (unless there is a physiological reason) so I doubt the school will take him. If they do, the teacher will not be allowed to clean him up so be prepared for him to come home with poop all over himself. Kids will tease him so I would wait to send him until he is trained. That could be a long lasting social stigma. My son's daycare teacher can't even help wipe his bottom when he poops, and he just turned 3 3 weeks ago. He has to do it himself...some days are better than others.

To poop train my son (which did take a lot longer than pee) we did sticker charts toward new toys that he wanted (small things like thomas engines or super hero squad guys--the charts have 25 or so squares). He actually completed the training on his own when we went on vacation. He just decided he wasn't going to go in his pants anymore. Do you still have him in pull ups or is he in underwear? If he's in pull ups, throw them out! It will be messy, but oh well, it will be less pleasant for him, too. My son pooped his underwear 5 days out of 7 for about 5 months while he was completely pee trained. We just kept at it and eventually, he stopped. We would ask him all the time "where do you pee? Where do you poop?" He always answered "in the potty" to both questions even though he was rarely pooping in the potty. This made us think that he just couldn't quite control it yet.

Good luck. And, consider not sending him to kindergarten yet if that is an option.

Boyzmomee responded:
This may be a problem beyond immaturity. Have you discussed this with hid peds doctor?

Anon_227719 replied to Boyzmomee's response:
Had very similar problems with my 2 boys now 15 and 10 - I thought it was laziness - They didn't want to stop what they were doing to go #2 - it takes more time than #1 - My 15 year old has out grown it - he may catch my 10 year old frozen now and then unable to move because he held it too long but he is getting better not so embarrassed to go #2 at friends houses and school like last year... Although sometimes he has very large bowel movements and clogs the toilet , I still regularly reinforce that it is not good to hold it. Good Luck...

jrap1978 responded:
my son started kindergarten at 4..turned 5 that october...the summer before school he still wasnt potty trained and he was very smart just lazy,so i told him flat out that if he doesnt pee and poop in the tiolet the kids will make fun of him AND the teacher isnt going to change him..within 2 weeks he was trained.

lionsmum responded:
I sure feel for you! I have a son turning 10 this month who still is pooping his pants on a regular basis. He went through a traumatic event when he was 21/2 - right during the middle of potty training and has never mastered the psychological control of going to the toilet when needed. We've been to pediatric doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, etc. to no avail. I've bribed and cajoled and used stickers and promises of all sorts. I've taken away toys and privleges. I make him clean himself up and clean out his own underwear as well as the bathroom. Nothing phases him as he has just become used to is. He is a popular kid at school but it's a matter of time before he is ridiculed for this, as the teachers have commented on it. I am at the end of my rope - if anyone has ANY help I would sure appreciate it!

poohbearcharm responded:
I don't know how the school district is where you live, but I was told by our principle that they cannot deny our son an education because he has accidents. My son is going into second grade and still has both bm and wet accidents and I just keep a change of clothes for him in the nurses office. Last year, his teacher asked that he start wearing pull ups for sanitary concerns. Makes sense...we have to consider the other kids in his class. He's been fortunate that the kids haven't really been teasing him too much about it so far. I always talk to the teacher at the beginning of the school year and make sure they understand the situation. We had an awesome Kindergarten teacher that really was encouraging. Crossing my fingers for you that you do too.
Also, since he's been dealing with this for such a long time, we've been having him tested for everything. Have you seen a gastroenterologist? It's possible there could be more to it than just being "lazy".
Also, give yourself a break mom. I remember being in tears when my son started school and he was still having accidents. I know how stressful this is and can imagine the embarrassment.
I hope this helps.....

poohbearcharm replied to lionsmum's response:
Your situation sounds almost exactly like ours...except my son still wets his pants as well as poop. He'll be 7 in September and has been through so many tests. We've done pretty much everything you describe. He cleans himself up too and it just doesn't really phase him. I wish I could offer you advice. Unfortunately, all I can offer you is support and someone to talk to. Good luck!

luvmedo24 replied to poohbearcharm's response:
We have the same issues with our 4 yr old daughter and she was actually diagnosed with Encopresis and put on a daily laxative. I will bring her to the toilet at certain times of the day, (after meals, etc.) and just have her sit there for awhile...instead of waiting for her to tell me that she has to go. It helps to reduce the number of accidents. Sometimes I will read a book to her to keep her busy and help her relax so that she will go, but I've found that it doesn't help to give her a toy or book as it just distracts her. She mostly has problems going #2 and sometimes has a wet accident, but her problem is that she can't really tell when she has to go or not. She will start preschool in September and I worry about how she'll do in school.

Helpful Tips

Help kids learn to swallow pillsExpert
I found this inexpensive but clever cup a few years ago, and it helped my kids learn to swallow pills without a fuss: ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.