Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get the support and information you need for your behavior, development and health related questions.

For more information:
Health and Parenting Health Center
Raising fit Kids

Another reason to have a smoke-free house for your child.
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Not only an increased risk of cancer and respiratory problem, new research shows an increase to develop behavior and learning disabilities for children exposed to secondhand smoke.

Secondhand Smoke May Boost Risk of Learning Problems, ADHD

Are you a smoker?
Are your children exposed to secondhand smoke?
How do you prevent your children from being exposed?

Elizabeth

Boyzmomee responded:
I was exposed as a child to two parents who smoked. I have lasting lung damage.

fiannakyn replied to Boyzmomee's response:
my mother was a 3 pack a day smoker through all her pregnancies and 14 years after the youngest was born.

My sister is the oldest and has no real lasting effect from the smoking except severe enviromental allergies.
My brother is 4 years younger than sis and has severe social disablities and learning disablities. bad enough that he is not able to live independantly and live with our parents at 40 years old.
I was the youngest and have Cerebral Palsy- which has been recently linked to smoking while pregnant, and have severe allergies like my sister. I was hospitalized with phenumonia and broncitus several times as a child. To this day I get migraines when around ciggerette smoke.

My home and enviroment is smoke free.
Vicky- Soon to be Foster parent! Lurking for advice.

alliegirl77 responded:
Our home is smoke free and we do prevent our child from being exposed to secondhand smoke. Fortunately we live in a city that has smoking bans so we don't have to deal with this much.

DH's mother was a smoker. She died of COPD 8 years ago in her late 50's. Very young and very sad.

DH was exposed to it growing up but has not shown any evidence of as a child (or currently for that matter) of any behavior/learning disability issues. Now, that being said, DH's son who is now 13 has severe learning disabilities and behavior problems. Ironically, his daycare provider from the time he was newborn to approximately age 6 was DH's mother.

kay_kay75 replied to alliegirl77's response:
I grew up in a house with both parents smoking, not sure of lung damage but I have hearing loss due to ear infections as a child that will never go away. It makes me sad to think that my hearing is comprimised before I was even 20 and it is all liked to something my parents could have prevented!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to kay_kay75's response:
Hi kay_kay75,

Did you see this? Thought you may be interested.

Secondhand Smoke May Hurt Teens' Hearing

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Toddlers and Calcium
Toddlers need calcium for healthy bones/teeth. 700 mg/day = 2-3 eight oz glasses of milk but also in other food/fortified sources as well. ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Child Health 411 - Ari Brown, MD

Educated parents are empowered parents! Get clear answers to your parenting questions from Dr. Ari Brown...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.